Draft Profile: BioJustin Wright from Cooper High School was rated a -star recruit by ESPN and handed a 2-star grade by 247 Sports. After high school, Wright joined Tulsa.
In 2018 as a freshman Wright saw action in just one game and played a total of one snap at linebacker for the Golden Hurricane. He recorded no tackles, one assist, while adding no stops.
As a sophomore for the Golden Hurricane in 2019 Wright played in 3 games and took part in 13 snaps for the Golden Hurricane. He recorded just 2 tackles, one assist, while adding 2 stops.
In 2020 as a junior Wright played in 9 games and contributed on 620 snaps. He recorded 49 tackles, 13 assists while making 38 stops. In coverage Wright chalked up one pass breakup, one interception, and a decent QB rating when targetted of 77.2. As a pass rusher, he produced 18 total pressures, which included 11 QB hurries, 4 QB hits, and 3 sacks on the year.
In 2021 as a senior Wright logged playing time in 12 games and logged a total of 716 snaps for the Golden Hurricane. He also added solid 64 tackles, 17 assists, and 44 stops. While in coverage Wright made no pass breakups, one interception, and an impressive QB rating when targetted of 73.6. As a pass rusher, he tallied 13 total pressures, which included 5 QB hurries, 4 QB hits, and a solid 4 sacks on the season.
In 2022 as a fifth year senior Wright logged playing time in 12 games and logged a total of 781 snaps for the Golden Hurricane. He also added solid 82 tackles, 24 assists, and 58 stops. While in coverage Wright made 2 pass breakups, 2 interceptions, and an impressive QB rating when targetted of 64.5. As a pass rusher, he tallied 22 total pressures, which included 15 QB hurries, 3 QB hits, and a solid 4 sacks on the season.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Strong and stout against the run, filling lanes with power and an attacking mentality.
- Has enough hustle and athleticism to make plays in the flat against running backs. Lacks height but has the vertical and timing to knock away passes when approaching the quarterback.
- Flashes strength to punch or stiff-arm to get off blocks. Stays with plays downfield, often making tackles even after being hit by multiple linemen.
- Has a filled-out frame with good thickness. Plays at full speed at all times with an active motor and determined quickness in pursuit.
- Plays fast, flows with the action, showing smooth lateral agility and short-area burst. Has good instincts and awareness to quickly find the ball.
- Reads the quarterback to anticipate and is a candidate to play outside.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- As a run defender, he’s too much of a grab-and-drag tackler, lacking violence and too frequently allowing running backs to escape.
- Hits up high and misses more tackles than Wright should.
- Lacks the fluidity and speed to turn and run with tight ends in coverage.
How other scouting services rate Justin Wright (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank