Draft Profile: BioKeon Coleman, born on May 17, 2003, in Opelousas, LA, showcased his athletic prowess at Opelousas Catholic High School. At 6-foot-4 and weighing 215 lbs, he was distinguished with a 4-star rating by both ESPN and 247 Sports as a wide receiver. Beyond football, his basketball talents were evident as he played six games under the esteemed Basketball Hall of Fame coach Tom Izzo at Michigan State in 2021.
In his freshman year at Michigan State in 2021, Coleman participated in seven games, tallying seven receptions for 50 yards, averaging 7.1 yards per reception, and scoring one touchdown. Notably, his QB rating when targeted stood at an elite 126.9. His performance ascended during his sophomore season in 2022; over 12 games, he made 58 catches, totalling 798 yards with an average of 13.8 yards per reception, complemented by seven touchdowns. Moreover, even with the QB rating when targeted dipping slightly to 107.1, he consistently proved to be a reliable target.
After a standout sophomore season, Coleman announced a transfer to Florida State for the 2023 college football season, hinting at a new horizon in his burgeoning career. Aligning with the Seminoles and their promising 2023 roster, particularly the chemistry with quarterback Jordan Travis, Coleman is undoubtedly a player to pay attention to lheading up to the 2024 NFL Draft.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Prototype physicality: boasts elite size, frame density, and compact mass; prime athletic build for an NFL WR.
- Outstanding acceleration combined with exceptional foot speed and lateral twitch, especially considering his build.
- Superb at manipulating DB blind spots; employs efficient diamond releases and robust hand techniques to separate.
- Impressive ball skills: pairs elite timing and body control with remarkable strength at the catch point.
- Transcendent aerial adjustments: showcases gravity-defying contortions and consistently extends beyond his frame to secure catches.
- Threat after the catch: blends explosive agility, contact balance, and physicality to elude and overpower defensive backs.
- Distinguished for his proactive alpha mentality; adept at contested catches thanks to a combination of instincts and sheer hand strength.
- Multifaceted athlete: showcased his versatility playing basketball under Tom Izzo; brings that multi-sport dynamism to the gridiron.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Limited sharpness in routes: occasionally lacks the burst and crispness on angled route breaks, affecting his separation from defenders.
- Inconsistent run-blocking intensity: despite his physical prowess, needs to bring more aggression and tenacity to his blocking assignments.
- Acceleration concerns: might struggle with elite long speed, making it challenging to consistently outpace boundary DBs in deep ball situations.
- Technique refinements needed: can improve on his footwork, hip flexibility, and contact balance for more consistent and effective playmaking.
Scouting Report: SummaryKeon Coleman has positioned himself prominently as one of the top WRs in the 2024 NFL Draft. Standing at 6’4″ and weighing 215 pounds, he boasts a formidable physical presence on the field. His catch mechanics, characterized by an ability to naturally box out defenders and that "alpha" catch-point instinct, set him apart.
While his raw athleticism is a sight to behold, Coleman's route running shows areas for growth, notably in footwork. His athletic burst hints at an untapped potential, waiting to be refined and fully realized in the professional league.
Given his blend of raw talent and exhibited skills, many scouts see him as a valuable pick, though he's currently projected to be taken in the 2nd or 3rd round. This positioning might reflect the few areas he needs to polish, but it also speaks to the depth of talent in the draft.
How other scouting services rate Keon Coleman (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank