- Good (not elite) arm strength and can easily make all the NFL throws with effortless deep passes.
- Average overall accuracy. Too often forces his receivers to adjust their routes, limiting yards after the catch. May have too much confidence in his right arm as he will force the ball into pressure rather than check down and take what the defense gives him.
- Sees the field very well when the play breaks down and occasionally changes plays at the line.
- Good zip and ball placement on the quick slant. Good touch down the seam and on post-corner, flag routes to attack the defense vertically and horizontally.
- Enough arm strength to drive the ball through tight windows up to 20 yards downfield. Spreads the ball around to multiple receivers.
- Sails throws to either sideline; receivers make him look good with acrobatic catches. Back-foot throws are not accurate. Sometimes trusts his arm too much, trying to stick passes late in the play or when off-balance.
- Has struggled with his decision-making and needs to improve his pre-snap recognition skills to read defenses and see blitzes. Doesn't decipher information as quickly as you would like, but does see the entire field and understands coverage.
- Too often fails to give receivers a chance to make a play after the catch. High completion percentage padded by many quick screens.
- Erratic passer who struggles with consistent ball placement - has a tough time fitting passes into tight windows.
- Needs to improve his touch at all levels and know when to gun it and when to take something off his throws. Accuracy is solid, but far from great with streaky ball placement downfield as he tries to thread the needle too much.
How other scouting services rate Sawyer Smith (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank