Draft Profile: BioTaylor Upshaw from Braden River High School was rated a 3-star recruit by ESPN and handed a 3-star grade by 247 Sports. After high school, Upshaw joined Michigan.
In 2019 as a freshman Upshaw saw action in 5 games and played a total of 34 snaps for the Wolverines. He recorded only one tackle, no assists, while adding one stop.
As a sophomore for the Wolverines in 2020 Upshaw played in 6 games and took part in 209 snaps for the Wolverines. He recorded 10 tackles, 6 assists, while adding 8 stops. As a pass rusher, he chalked up 6 total pressures, and 3 QB hurries, 2 QB hits, and one sack during the year.
In 2021 as a junior Upshaw played in 12 games and contributed on 207 snaps. He recorded only 4 tackles, 2 assists while making 4 stops. As a pass rusher, he produced 16 total pressures, which included 11 QB hurries, 2 QB hits, and 3 sacks on the year.
In 2022 as a senior Upshaw logged playing time in 13 games and logged a total of 256 snaps for the Wolverines. He also added only 8 tackles, no assists, and 9 stops. As a pass rusher, he tallied 20 total pressures, which included 14 QB hurries, 2 QB hits, and 4 sacks on the season.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Coordinated footwork and balance. Makes more plays in pass coverage than expected because of his natural football instincts.
- Brings down quarterbacks much bigger than Upshaw is. Very good motor and regularly chases down plays from behind.
- Tough between-the-tackles defender who shimmies past blockers to fill lanes. Downhill, aggressive run-stuffer with enough strength to stop ballcarriers in the hole.
- Some teams will prefer him as a 4-3 Will, but he has a chance to hold up in the middle and be a good one.
- Upshaw possesses an intriguing blend of size and movement skills. He has good length, wide shoulders, and long arms, and he has room to add weight.
- Upshaw can be used as a rangy run defender inside, instinctive when it comes to locating the ball with the quickness to get to it before blockers can react at the second level.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Because of his athletic limitations, Upshaw lacks the ceiling of some of this draft’s top edge rushers
- Upshaw won’t be able to run with most tight ends in coverage. While he’s a capable blitzer, he’s not a pass-rush threat on his own.
- Upshaw also has a tendency to be too aggressive attacking downhill, and he can be beat on counter plays and cutbacks.
Taylor Upshaw percentiles vs other Outside Linebacker's (NFL Combine historically - higher value represents better perfomance)
How other scouting services rate Taylor Upshaw (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank