Draft Profile: BioTrey Sanders from IMG Academy High School was rated a 4-star recruit by ESPN and handed a 5-star grade by 247 Sports. Following high school, Sanders joined Alabama.
In 2020 as a freshman Sanders saw action in 4 games for the Crimson Tide as he ran for just 129 yards on 29 attempts for 4.4 yards per carry, with no TDs, with no fumbles. As a receiver he made just one reception for -2 yards.
As a sophomore in 2021 he played 12 games. and rushed for 314 yards on 72 carries for 4.4 ypc, with 2 TDs, with one fumble. In the passing game he pulled in just 6 receptions for 55 yards.
In 2022 as a junior Sanders saw action in 5 games for the Crimson Tide. He ran for just 80 yards on 14 attempts for an excellent 5.7 ypc, with one TD, with no fumbles. As a receiver he made just 2 receptions for 13 yards.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Does not possess top breakaway speed, though he's rarely caught from behind.
- His passing game skills are strong. He’s a natural hands catcher who turns upfield quickly in the screen game, and Sanders shows a great feel for setting up wheel routes.
- A quick, smooth athlete with the footwork to make sharp cuts and redirect his momentum in a flash. Shows good vision and patience with natural running instincts.
- He’s aggressive and willing, with more than enough size, when asked to chip block or pick up blitzers. Sanders has the potential to be one of the league’s best in that area.
- Possesses quick feet and straight-line speed but doesn't have the elite burst to be a constant big-play threat. Improving patience as a runner, following pulling guards and makes good decisions on his cut.
- Sanders has the size and toughness to be developed as a pass protector.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Not the most instinctive runner and too often tries for the big play, dancing and losing yards. Lacks the natural power to push the pile and feels more comfortable avoiding contact.
- Sanders can sometimes be impatient, not allowing his blocks to set up, a nuance required for backs to last a decade-plus.
- Sanders seems comfortable in traffic to the point where Sanders doesn’t make the effort to create separation.
Trey Sanders percentiles vs other Running Back's (NFL Combine historically - higher value represents better perfomance)
How other scouting services rate Trey Sanders (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank