Draft Profile: BioTyler Batty from Payson High School was rated a 3-star recruit by ESPN and handed a 3-star grade by 247 Sports. After high school, Batty joined BYU.
In 2020 as a freshman Batty saw action in 4 games and played a total of 96 snaps for the Cougars. He recorded only 8 tackles, 2 assists, while adding 11 stops. As a pass rusher, he added 12 total pressures, which included 5 QB hurries, 3 QB hits, and 4 sacks on the season.
As a sophomore for the Cougars in 2021 Batty played in 12 games and took part in 477 snaps for the Cougars. He recorded 31 tackles, 6 assists, while adding 22 stops. As a pass rusher, he chalked up 24 total pressures, and 14 QB hurries, 6 QB hits, and 4 sacks during the year.
In 2022 as a junior Batty played in 11 games and contributed on 446 snaps. He recorded 37 tackles, 8 assists while making 29 stops. In coverage Batty chalked up no pass breakups, no interceptions, and an unimpressive QB rating when targetted of 135.4. As a pass rusher, he produced 29 total pressures, which included 21 QB hurries, 5 QB hits, and 3 sacks on the year.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Aggressive with good awareness to track the ball and attack. Tenacious, tough, competItIve and versatile.
- He’s flexible enough to bend the edge, and he’s at his best when Batty can use his quickness and change-of-direction abilities to counter back inside.
- He’s a high-motor player, and he shows good enough hand use, as well as a tight spin move, to win as an edge rusher.
- Has fluid footwork to redirect, reverse momentum and close with a burst. Regularly first off the ball with good snap anticipation.
- Faces double-team and holds the line. Stays alive against the run and mobile quarterbacks, shedding to either side to chase.
- He’s quick to react and locate the ball, and he shows enough speed to succeed in backside pursuit. Batty plays with excellent balance and a strong, flexible core, rarely ending up on the ground.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Plays high and with poor balance and power. He’ll lose ground at the point of attack, and Batty doesn’t get the full benefit of his length.
- While he has violent hands, he uses them too inconsistently. Batty tends to let blockers get into his chest, and he’ll waste time hand fighting due to a limited array of pass rush moves.
- Not explosive as a pass rusher or run defender. Lacks elite speed and flexibility to turn the corner and is late off the snap.
How other scouting services rate Tyler Batty (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank