Draft Profile: BioVernon Broughton from Cypress Ridge High High School was rated a 4-star recruit by ESPN and handed a 4-star grade by 247 Sports. After high school, Broughton joined Texas after being heavily recruited.
In 2020 as a freshman Broughton saw action in just 3 games and played a total of 47 snaps for the Longhorns. He recorded only one tackle, no assists, while adding one stop.
As a sophomore for the Longhorns in 2021 Broughton played in 12 games and took part in 179 snaps for the Longhorns. He recorded only 4 tackles, one assist, while adding 3 stops.
In 2022 as a junior Broughton played in 11 games and contributed on 223 snaps. He recorded only 6 tackles, one assist while making 5 stops. As a pass rusher, he produced 12 total pressures, which included 10 QB hurries, 2 QB hits, and no sacks on the year.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Broughton has violent hands and the long arms to ward off blockers. He plays with a good pad level and can win with power as a bull rusher.
- He has an excellent feel for working off blockers and knowing how and when to counter as the play goes on.
- Played with good leverage, even on the nose, despite average bulk. Hustle defender with a good bull rush inside that can close and get home when quarterbacks leave the pocket.
- Agile run-stopper at end, extends to grab backs from the backside and possesses foot quickness and hustle to chase plays downfield. or to the sideline.
- Quick off the snap in the pass rush, Broughton has violent hands and a good feel for working inside counter moves.
- He could be molded to fit as a three-technique, five-technique, or edge rusher at the next level. Broughton has the ability to thrive as a versatile pass rusher as well as a run stuffer.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Broughton is powerful but lacks the flexibility to consistently bend the edge, and Broughton lacks the kind of twitchy overall athleticism to develop into an elite pass rusher.
- He’s heavy-footed and lacks any kind of dynamic athleticism in his lower body.
- While he’s a decent lateral mover, he doesn’t show great closing speed when he has to chase in pursuit.
How other scouting services rate Vernon Broughton (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank