Draft Profile: BioAfter high school, Wells Jr. opted to join James Madison.
In 2020 as a freshman Wells Jr. saw action in 8 games for the Dukes as he made 33 receptions for 603 yards for an average of 18.3 yards per reception, with 6 TDs, and an excellent QB rating when targeted of 121.1.
As a sophomore in 2021 he played 13 games and had an outstanding 75 catches for 1138 yards for an average of 15.2 yards per catch, with 13 TDs, and an excellent QB rating when targeted of 131.7.
After season's end Wells Jr. transferred to South Carolina where as a junior in 2022 he played 12 games and hauled in 64 catches for 911 yards for an average of 14.2 yards per catch, with 6 TDs, and an excellent QB rating when targeted of 116.1.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Although Wells is more of a possession target than a field stretcher, he fiercely competitive demeanor and run-after-catch ability make him a major threat in the middle of the field.
- Strong runner with the ball with enough agility to make defenders miss in the open field.
- Thriving on physicality, he’s a contested-catch specialist with a knack for warding off defenders while the ball is in the air. Wells has strong hands and the ability to wrestle the ball away from defenders.
- He tracks the ball well downfield and consistently runs under long throws.
- He is a natural playmaker, at his best with the ball in his hands.
- He’s coordinated with soft, reliable hands, and he shows the ability to adjust to balls thrown behind him, as well as a knack for digging out low throws.
- He accelerates quickly and possesses good straight-line speed. Wells shows solid ball-tracking skills and body control downfield, able to adjust to the off-target throw.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- His playing speed is less than elite. Wells won’t run past defenders like Wells did at the college level.
- While he has the athleticism to be a catch-and-run threat, he never seemed comfortable catching, gathering, and transitioning to a runner.
- Wells lacks the twitch to create consistent separation, and despite his size and ability to track the ball downfield, he isn’t great on contested catches.
How other scouting services rate Antwane Wells Jr. (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank