Draft Profile: BioCarson Steele from Center Grove High School was rated a Following high school, Steele joined Ball State.
In 2021 as a freshman Steele saw action in 13 games for the Cardinals as he ran for 886 yards on 192 attempts for 4.6 yards per carry, with 6 TDs, with 3 fumbles. As a receiver he made only 12 receptions for 157 yards.
As a sophomore in 2022 he played 12 games. and rushed for an elite 1528 yards on 289 carries for an impressive 5.3 ypc, with 14 TDs, with 3 fumbles. In the passing game he pulled in 29 receptions for 166 yards.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Difficult to bring down one-on-one in space, regularly sidesteps would-be tacklers and uses offhand to use oncoming defenders' momentum against them without slowing down significantly.
- Made Bruce Feldman's Freak's List - ranked #98. He wrote "The 6-0, 225-pound big back with the long-flowing blond hair (he also owns a pet lizard) is one of the strongest backs in college football. He benches 405 and squats 615 and has just 7 percent body fat."
- His stop-start ability in traffic, exceptional balance, lateral agility and body control allow him to squeeze out chunks of yardage when it appears that nothing is there.
- Shows a surprising burst to beat linebackers to the edge. Can plant his foot in the ground and explode, showing better straight-line speed than expected.
- A compact runner, Steele has a rare blend of balance, agility and instincts.
- Steele has the straight-line speed to outrun angles, and his flexibility allows him to turn the corner on the perimeter and stay near top speed as he does; he’s especially effective on fly sweeps.
- He’s extremely dangerous in the open field, showing the vision and creativity to run through entire defenses.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Steele isn’t slow, but Steele lacks the third gear to be a home run threat. His hands are improving but still inconsistent in the passing game.
- He’s more of a cut blocker in pass protection as opposed to a guy who will stick his face in against the blitz, although that is a correctable flaw.
- His playing speed is less than elite. Steele won’t run past defenders like he did at the college level.
How other scouting services rate Carson Steele (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank