Draft Profile: BioDevin Leary from Timber Creek High School was rated a 4 star recruit by ESPN and handed a 4 star grade by 247 Sports. Following high school, Leary opted to join NC State.
In 2019 as a freshman Leary saw action in 8 games for the Wolfpack as he threw for 1217 yards on 212 attempts with a completion percent of 48.1 for an average of 5.7 yards per pass, with 8 TDs, while taking 11 sacks, and a QB rating of 68.8. He added 30 runs for a total of 111 yards at an average of 3.7 per run.
In 2020 as a sophomore he played in 4 games as he passed for 890 yards on 110 attempts with a completion percent of 60 for an average of 8.1 yards per pass, with 8 TDs, while also taking 7 sacks, and putting up a QB rating of 102.5.
As a junior in 2021 Leary played in a total of 12 games. He passed for 3435 yards on 430 attempts and put up a completion percentage of 65.6 for an average of 8.0 yards per attept, with 35 TDs, and allowing 26 sacks, with a QB rating on the year of 112.3.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Athletic quarterback who is a threat to leave the pocket and gain positive yardage at any time. Possesses very good vision balance, elusiveness and deceptive speed and power as a runner.
- Gets the ball out quickly, making ·splitsecond decisions. Good short to intermediate level accuracy, demonstrating the ball placement to allow receivers to run after the catch.
- Good zip and ball placement on the quick slant. Good touch down the seam and on post-corner, flag routes to attack the defense vertically and horizontally.
- Sees the field very well when the play breaks down and occasionally changes plays at the line.
- Good accuracy overall, including excellent accuracy on short timing routes to backs and receivers, placing the ball slightly in front to lead receivers to potential yardage after the catch.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Has struggled with his decision-making and needs to improve his pre-snap recognition skills to read defenses and see blitzes. Doesn't decipher information as quickly as you would like, but does see the entire field and understands coverage.
- Needs to improve his touch at all levels and know when to gun it and when to take something off his throws. Accuracy is solid, but far from great with streaky ball placement downfield as he tries to thread the needle too much.
How other scouting services rate Devin Leary (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank