Draft Profile: BioE.J. Smith from Jesuit High School was rated a 4-star recruit by ESPN and handed a 4-star grade by 247 Sports. Following high school, Smith joined Stanford.
In 2021 as a freshman Smith saw action in 7 games for the Cardinals as he ran for only 133 yards on 26 attempts for an impressive 5.1 yards per carry, with one TD, with no fumbles. As a receiver he made 16 receptions for 72 yards.
As a sophomore in 2022 he played just 2 games. and rushed for 207 yards on 30 carries for an elite 6.9 ypc, with 3 TDs, with 3 fumbles. In the passing game he pulled in only 8 receptions for 63 yards.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- He’s a natural pass catcher, at his best pulling in swing passes and heading upfield. He’s a natural in the screen game as well. His hands are good enough that Smith can line up in the slot.
- Has good burst to and through the hole. A patient runner with good vision and burst for the cutback. Squares his shoulders and can knock the defender back onto his heels. Good leg drive and forward lean to gain extra yardage after contact.
- Not truly explosive, but possesses enough speed to beat linebacker to the edge.
- Demonstrated the ability to track the ball over his shoulder. Good flexibility and balance to adjust to the poorly thrown pass. Good vision and patience for screens.
- His competitiveness and knack for high-pointing the ball allow him to play bigger than his size.
- Does not possess top breakaway speed, though he's rarely caught from behind.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Smith has a slight build, especially for a running back, and Smith isn’t going to grind out yardage between the tackles, as he lacks power and runs with a fairly high pad level.
- Lacks great speed to consistently threaten the edge and can be caught from behind. Indecisive when the hole isn't there.
- He needs a few steps to get going with limited burst and foot speed. Has an inconsistent feel eluding tacklers and doesn't create a lot on his own. Smith doesn't display much power to push the pile or consistently break tackles.
How other scouting services rate E.J. Smith (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank