Draft Profile: BioJack Sawyer from Pickerington North High School was rated a 5-star recruit by ESPN and handed a 5-star grade by 247 Sports. After high school, Sawyer joined Ohio State after being heavily recruited.
In 2021 as a freshman Sawyer saw action in 13 games and played a total of 173 snaps for the Buckeyes. He recorded just 7 tackles, 2 assists, while adding 10 stops. As a pass rusher, he added 11 total pressures, which included 5 QB hurries, 2 QB hits, and 4 sacks on the season.
As a sophomore for the Buckeyes in 2022 Sawyer played in 12 games and took part in 313 snaps for the Buckeyes. He recorded 10 tackles, 12 assists, while adding 11 stops. As a pass rusher, he chalked up 22 total pressures, and 17 QB hurries, 2 QB hits, and 3 sacks during the year.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Sawyer has an explosive first step and converts that short-area speed into power, a capable bull rusher.
- Flashes nimble feet to chase running backs and mobile quarterbacks to the sideline when lined up at end. Spins off blocks to get back into the play.
- He has a wide base and a low center of gravity to generally hold his ground, with the upper-body strength to shed single blockers.
- He's developing his skills setting the edge against the run but shows high effort in his role.
- Sawyer explodes off the line with a quick first step, with agile feet to counter inside and closing burst to finish plays.
- He’s ready for the physicality of the NFL; Sawyer has a stout build, strong core and powerful limbs to step in right away as a three-down player.
- Plays with exceptional balance and body control, showing off a nasty spin move to counter his speed, with the natural instincts to know when to use it.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Sawyer also shows some stiffness when trying to bend the edge, often getting pushed past the pocket — Sawyer seems more comfortable countering back inside.
- Can struggle at the point of attack. As a pass rusher, he lacks the ideal length to ward off blockers and can allow linemen to get into his chest.
- He’s a work in progress with his hand in the dirt. Needs to improve his physicality, especially when setting the edge as a run defender.
How other scouting services rate Jack Sawyer (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank