Drafted: 2021: ROUND: 4 - Pick Number: 124 (WSH)
- He is a highly competitive player and quickly gets to the perimeter, blocking well in space and at the second level.
- Knee-bend and technique are good and he shows decent power when his hands hit the target.
- Soft hands and good concentration level with obvious toughness in congested areas.
- Looks to get involved downfield and will block multiple defenders on a single play when he can. Understands his role as a blocker.
- Good body control to reach back for the pass behind him. High-points passes and has good vertical, timing and hand-eye coordination in jump-ball situations.
- Inconsistent with his release off the line of scrimmage.
- Isn't agile for a tight end. Might have real trouble getting open at the next level.
- A glider, moves faster than he appears but lacks the top-end speed to be a real threat down the seam.
- Possesses only average straight-line speed and is a bit stiff as a route-runner, showing only average flexibility and burst out of his breaks.
- Is a bit high-hipped and slow to get rolling. Frame limits upside as a blocker.
How other scouting services rate John Bates (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank