Draft Profile: BioMase Funa from Mater Dei High School was rated a 4-star recruit by ESPN and handed a 4-star grade by 247 Sports. After high school, Funa joined Oregon after being heavily recruited.
In 2019 as a freshman Funa saw action in 14 games and played a total of 367 snaps at Edge Rusher for the Ducks. He recorded 17 tackles, 4 assists, while adding 17 stops. In coverage Funa notched up no pass breakups, no interceptions, and a very good QB rating when targetted of 71.3. As a pass rusher, he added 12 total pressures, which included 7 QB hurries, 2 QB hits, and 3 sacks on the season.
As a sophomore for the Ducks in 2020 Funa played in 7 games and took part in 377 snaps for the Ducks. He recorded 28 tackles, 3 assists, while adding 19 stops. As a pass rusher, he chalked up 9 total pressures, and 6 QB hurries, 3 QB hits, and no sacks during the year.
In 2021 as a junior Funa played in 12 games and contributed on 411 snaps. He recorded 25 tackles, 6 assists while making 19 stops. In coverage Funa chalked up no pass breakups, no interceptions, and QB rating when targetted of 107.5. As a pass rusher, he produced 12 total pressures, which included 8 QB hurries, 4 QB hits, and no sacks on the year.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Funa has ability as a blitzer, with the length and flexibility to get around the edge.
- He has the take on skills to play the Mike, shedding blockers with violent hands and plenty of functional strength. He accelerates quickly in space and has closing speed.
- He has a high motor and does a solid job setting the edge against the run.
- Gets pressures on inside stunts and was too explosive for college guards to handle.
- Funa has electrifying change-of-direction skills and also the length and upper-body strength to discard blockers on the way.
- Best attribute. Extreme quickness off the edge, has the flexibility to turn the corner.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Funa remains a bit raw, as Funa is inconsistent with his hand use and lacks violence in his hands
- He is slow to locate the ball and too often overruns plays, easily fooled by counters and misdirections. Funa has limited experience in coverage, and his awareness when dropping into zone will likely be an issue.
- He’s often slow to react and locate the ball against the run.
How other scouting services rate Mase Funa (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank