Draft Profile: BioStefon Thompson from Julius L. Chambers High School was rated a 3-star recruit by ESPN and handed a 3-star grade by 247 Sports. After high school, Thompson joined Syracuse.
In 2020 as a freshman Thompson saw action in 10 games and played a total of 385 snaps for the Orange. He recorded 26 tackles, 11 assists, while adding 23 stops. In coverage Thompson notched up no pass breakups, no interceptions, and an impressive QB rating when targetted of 56.3. As a pass rusher, he added 13 total pressures, which included 4 QB hurries, 6 QB hits, and 3 sacks on the season.
As a sophomore for the Orange in 2021 Thompson played in 12 games and took part in 661 snaps for the Orange. He recorded solid 54 tackles, 23 assists, while adding 35 stops. In coverage Thompson made no pass breakups, no interceptions, and a disapointing QB rating when targetted of 140.6. As a pass rusher, he chalked up 28 total pressures, and 18 QB hurries, 3 QB hits, and a solid 7 sacks during the year.
In 2022 as a junior Thompson played in just one game and contributed on 22 snaps. He recorded just 3 tackles, one assist while making 2 stops.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Thompson disrupts plays in the backfield regularly. He also has the agility and pure speed to cover sideline to sideline, moving like a safety and then finishing as a violent and consistent tackler.
- He has good quickness and an excellent understanding of angles, often beating blockers to the spot.
- He’s very good in coverage when looking into the backfield in zone coverage.
- He’s explosive off the line of scrimmage, showing the quickness that sets blockers back on their heels.
- He’s effective in pursuit when chasing down backs as a run defender, and Thompson has the athleticism to cover a lot of ground when dropping into coverage.
- He’s an explosive mover, and he shows body control and flexibility as a pass rusher. Thompson can dip and bend around the corner, and he maintains speed while he does.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Needs work on angles and· finding receivers in zone. Does not possess elite quickness. Fails to break down at times, grabbing shoulder pads and lunging to allow ballcarriers to elude him.
- Thompson lacks the speed of a chase and- tackle guy. He lacks twitch as a pass rusher and lacks the feet and flexibility to threaten around the edge.
- He’s not a terribly fluid mover, he’ll have a tough time bending the edge. Thompson also has limitations in the run game.
How other scouting services rate Stefon Thompson (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank