Draft Profile: BioStefon Thompson from Zebulon B. Vance High School was rated a After high school, Thompson joined Syracuse.
In 2020 as a freshman Thompson saw action in 10 games and played a total of 385 snaps for the Orange. He recorded 26 tackles, 11 assists, while adding 23 stops. In coverage Thompson notched up no pass breakups, no interceptions, and QB rating when targetted of 56.3. As a pass rusher, he added 13 total pressures, which included 4 QB hurries, 6 QB hits, and 3 sacks on the season.
As a sophomore for the Orange in 2021 Thompson played in 12 games and took part in 661 snaps for the Orange. He recorded decent 54 tackles, 23 assists, while adding 35 stops. In coverage Thompson made no pass breakups, no interceptions, and an unimpressive QB rating when targetted of 140.6. As a pass rusher, he chalked up 28 total pressures, and 18 QB hurries, 3 QB hits, and 7 sacks during the year.
In 2022 as a junior Thompson played in just one game and contributed on 22 snaps. He recorded only 3 tackles, one assist while making 2 stops.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Thompson has the fluid movement skills and speed to turn and run in coverage against tight ends.
- Possesses strong upper body to be explosive and create turnovers as a tackler. Takes aggressive angles to the ball.
- An instinctive run defender who is quick to read and react, Thompson is consistently in the right spot at the right time.
- Thompson can be used as a rangy run defender inside, instinctive when it comes to locating the ball with the quickness to get to it before blockers can react at the second level.
- Brings down quarterbacks much bigger than he is. Very good motor and regularly chases down plays from behind.
- His fluidity and speed allow him to cover a lot of ground when dropping back into zone, and he is capable of turning and running with tight ends.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Often engulfed by NFL-caliber tackles due to his lack of height. Must improve consistency in beating cut blocks.
- Thompson lacks the speed of a chase and- tackle guy. Thompson lacks twitch as a pass rusher and lacks the feet and flexibility to threaten around the edge.
- Easily washed out of plays and loses track of the ball. Runs around blocks and struggles to break away once blockers have a hold on him.
How other scouting services rate Stefon Thompson (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank