- Handles misdirection well with quick change-of-direction ability. Comes downhill quickly against the run when he has an open lane.
- Closes quickly on relatively immobile quarterbacks. A consistently heavy hitter who flashes explosiveness and the ability to separate the ball.
- Reads quarterbacks eyes and reacts quickly to targets in zone coverage.
- Good closing speed with long arms to drag down quarterbacks and running backs.
- Can attack the edge with speed and has the flexibility to dip low and under the tackle's reach.
- His lateral agility and burst often put him in position to make big plays, but he takes questionable routes to the ball and struggles to avoid blockers when in pursuit.
- Lacks functional strength to shed and take on blocks at the point of attack.
- Generally an effective openfield tackler but doesn't wrap up consistently. Shows only average awareness in coverage.
- Saught looking into the backfield occasionally instead of getting to the receiver in the flat. Leaves his feet at times while tackling, and NFL backs will take advantage of that.
- Inconsistent hustle. Only adequate change-of-direction ability. Also loses his balance too often in the open field. Lacks size to bull rush stronger tackles.
How other scouting services rate Zakoby McClain (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank