- Shows a surprising burst to beat linebackers to the edge. Can plant his foot in the ground and explode, showing better straight-line speed than expected.
- Does not possess top breakaway speed, though he's rarely caught from behind.
- Compact build with a thick upper body and leg strength. Runs hard and with balance, is a patient runner who makes subtle, energetic cuts to make up for his modest explosiveness.
- Not truly explosive, but possesses enough speed to beat linebacker to the edge.
- Too indecisive and hesitant at the line of scrimmage.
- He needs a few steps to get going with limited burst and foot speed. Has an inconsistent feel eluding tacklers and doesn't create a lot on his own. He doesn't display much power to push the pile or consistently break tackles.
- Lacks a true burst through the hole and elite speed to break away or get to the corner against NFL defenses.
- Not overly physical for his size and won't run over defenders - doesn't break enough tackles.
- Not the most instinctive runner and too often tries for the big play, dancing and losing yards. Lacks the natural power to push the pile and feels more comfortable avoiding contact.
How other scouting services rate B.J. Smith (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank