Draft Profile: BioDerek Wingo from St. Thomas Aquinas High School was rated a 4-star recruit by ESPN and handed a 4-star grade by 247 Sports. After high school, Wingo joined Florida after being heavily recruited.
In 2020 as a freshman Wingo saw action in 4 games and played a total of 32 snaps at Linebacker for the Gators. He recorded no tackles, 2 assists, while adding no stops.
As a sophomore for the Gators in 2021 Wingo played in 8 games and took part in 159 snaps for the Gators. He recorded just 8 tackles, 7 assists, while adding 4 stops.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Reads the quarterback to anticipate and is a candidate to play outside.
- Wingo has value as an inside blitzer as well, showing the initial burst to shoot through gaps and disrupt the backfield.
- Wingo chases well in pursuit, and Wingo has the athleticism to play in space if asked to drop into coverage.
- Combines very good instincts with above-average reaction skills. Almost always finds the ball in traffic.
- He’s rangy and instinctive when he’s looking into the backfield as a zone defender.
- Has enough twitch and speed to make an impact coming off the edge as a third-down specialist.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Must work on using violent hands and defeating cut blocks. Also needs to build a variety of pass-rush moves.
- Lacks pop and strength to anchor, though. Most effective when uncovered inside and chasing stretch plays to the sideline.
- As a pass rusher, Wingo lacks the ideal length to consistently win off the edge, even if he manages to improve his at-times sloppy hand usage.
How other scouting services rate Derek Wingo (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank