Draft Profile: BioDerek Wingo from St. Thomas Aquinas High School was rated a 4-star recruit by ESPN and handed a 4-star grade by 247 Sports. After high school, Wingo joined Florida after being heavily recruited.
In 2020 as a freshman Wingo saw action in 4 games and played a total of 32 snaps at linebacker for the Gators. He recorded no tackles, 2 assists, while adding no stops.
As a sophomore for the Gators in 2021 Wingo played in 8 games and took part in 159 snaps for the Gators. He recorded just 8 tackles, 7 assists, while adding 4 stops.
In 2022 as a junior Wingo played in 6 games and contributed on 90 snaps. He recorded just 6 tackles, 5 assists while making 4 stops.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Quick to read run, showing good agility and speed to get past blockers and finish. Experienced in coverage and gets a strong jam on outside receivers.
- Reads quarterbacks eyes and reacts quickly to targets in zone coverage.
- Looks the part. Good height and a thick, muscular build. Long arms. Good overall athleticism and straight-line speed.
- Wingo has excellent awareness in zone coverage.
- Work in progress as a pass rusher, with upfield burst and flexibility to dip and scrape.
- Wingo shows good quickness off the line of scrimmage and flashes the violent hands to win around the edge.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Generally an effective openfield tackler but doesn't wrap up consistently. Shows only average awareness in coverage.
- Saught looking into the backfield occasionally instead of getting to the receiver in the flat. Leaves his feet at times while tackling, and NFL backs will take advantage of that.
- Possesses below-average instincts for the linebacker position. Leaves more plays on the field than Wingo makes.
Derek Wingo percentiles vs other Linebacker's (NFL Combine historically - higher value represents better perfomance)
How other scouting services rate Derek Wingo (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank