Draft Profile: BioJaylon Carlies attended West Orange High School and was rated a 3-star prospect by 247 Sports with a scout's rating of 0.853, going unranked by ESPN. Following high school, Carlies opted to join Missouri.
In 2020 as a freshman Carlies saw action in 9 games and played a total of 255 snaps at cornerback for the Tigers. He recorded 11 tackles, no assists, while adding 3 stops. In coverage Carlies notched up no pass breakups, no interceptions, and QB rating when targetted of 112.5.
As a sophomore in 2021 he played in 13 games and logged 751 snaps for the Tigers. He made decent 60 tackles, 12 assists, and had 14 stops. In coverage he totaled no pass breakups, 4 interceptions, and an unimpressive QB rating when targetted of 116.2.
In 2022 as a junior Carlies played in 12 games and contributed on 710 snaps. He chalked up decent 64 tackles, 7 assists, and added 23 stops. In the secondary Carlies forced 3 pass breakups, 2 interceptions, and gave up a solid QB rating when targetted of 79.9.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Has quick feet and excellent change-of-direction ability, capable of mirroring quickness underneath.
- Carlies has the ability to move down and cover tight ends, with the fluid hips to turn and the speed to run with anyone down the middle of the field.
- Instinctive, adept at reading routes and anticipating throws, and strong in zone coverage.
- Has the change-of-direction ability to mirror underneath but did solid work out of press and off coverage.
- Lean, athletic build with plenty of room for additional muscle mass. Legitimate NFL-caliber athlete.
- Physical, sheds defenders and works off blocks. Good toughness with recognition skills to fight through traffic and blow up screens.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Susceptible to double moves, though that could be coached out of him. But the problem is that Carlies doesn’t track the ball downfield, and he seems to lack the ball skills to break up plays.
- Questionable technique and he gets lazy with fundamentals, sometimes getting high in his backpedal and will breach the coverage call seeking flashy plays
- Has tense ankles and hips with choppy footwork when attempting to redirect and doesn't always look natural changing directions.
How other scouting services rate Jaylon Carlies (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank