Draft Profile: BioJaylon Carlies from West Orange High School was rated a 3-star recruit by ESPN and handed a 3-star grade by 247 Sports. Following high school, Carlies opted to join Missouri.
In 2020 as a freshman Carlies saw action in 9 games and played a total of 255 snaps at cornerback for the Tigers. He recorded 11 tackles, no assists, while adding 3 stops. In coverage Carlies notched up no pass breakups, no interceptions, and QB rating when targetted of 112.5.
As a sophomore in 2021 he played in 13 games and logged 751 snaps for the Tigers. He made solid 60 tackles, 12 assists, and had 14 stops. In coverage he totaled no pass breakups, 4 interceptions, and a disapointing QB rating when targetted of 116.2.
In 2022 as a junior Carlies played in 12 games and contributed on 710 snaps. He chalked up solid 64 tackles, 7 assists, and added 23 stops. In the secondary Carlies forced 3 pass breakups, 2 interceptions, and gave up QB rating when targetted of 79.9.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Good instincts and anticipation reads and reacts with discipline. Dangerous with the ball in his hands.
- Physical, sheds defenders and works off blocks. Good toughness with recognition skills to fight through traffic and blow up screens.
- His ball skills are very good. Carlies tracks the ball well downfield and has the hands and coordination to come away with interceptions even when Carlies isn’t targeted often.
- Has the good, low backpedal and closing speed to be effective in off coverage. He’s excellent against the run, willing to get physical and fight off blocks on the perimeter, and a sure, wrap-up tackler who plays with a linebacker’s mentality.
- Possesses a long, lean build and looks the part of an NFL safety. Highly aggressive coming up in run support, showing the burst to zip through gaps and make tackles behind the line of scrimmage.
- Possesses a tall, long frame with room to get stronger. Talented all-around athlete with good playing speed and range.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Needs to develop a better understanding of route combinations and better overall vision.
- Carlies runs well, but Carlies doesn’t have elite recovery speed.
- Has poor recognition skills when facing the action in zone coverage.
How other scouting services rate Jaylon Carlies (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank