Drafted: ROUND: 7 - Pick Number: 242 (GB)
Draft Profile: BioAnthony Johnson Jr. attended St. Petersburg High School and was rated a 3-star prospect by 247 Sports with a scout's rating of 0.850, going unranked by ESPN. Following high school, Johnson Jr. opted to join Iowa State.
In 2018 as a freshman Johnson Jr. saw action in 11 games and played a total of 377 snaps at cornerback for the Cyclones. He recorded 20 tackles, 4 assists, while adding 6 stops. In coverage Johnson Jr. notched up 4 pass breakups, no interceptions, and QB rating when targetted of 64.9.
As a sophomore in 2019 he played in 13 games and logged 789 snaps for the Cyclones. He made 46 tackles, 4 assists, and had 17 stops. In coverage he totaled 6 pass breakups, no interceptions, and QB rating when targetted of 94.3. In addition he forced 8 total pressures, and 2 sacks during the year.
In 2020 as a junior Johnson Jr. played in 12 games and contributed on 697 snaps. He chalked up 37 tackles, 5 assists, and added 11 stops. In the secondary Johnson Jr. forced 3 pass breakups, no interceptions, and gave up QB rating when targetted of 74.9.
In 2021 as a senior Johnson Jr. saw action in 13 games while playing 690 snaps. He logged 37 tackles, 17 assists, and made 18 stops. In coverage Johnson Jr. had 3 pass breakups, no interceptions, and surrendered an unimpressive QB rating when targetted of 125.4.
In 2022 as a fifth year senior Johnson Jr. saw action in 12 games while playing 607 snaps. He logged decent 53 tackles, 9 assists, and made 21 stops. In coverage Johnson Jr. had 2 pass breakups, 2 interceptions, and surrendered QB rating when targetted of 84.8.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Possesses good straight-line speed, fluid hips to turn and run, and explosiveness out of his breaks. Good vision and anticipation as a free safety.
- Has the change-of-direction ability to mirror underneath but did solid work out of press and off coverage.
- Reads and deciphers quickly, reacting in a flash with a nose for the ball. Jumps routes and drives fast on plays in front of him.
- He’s tall-framed with long arms to match. With his powerful hands, straight-line speed, and fluidity in his hips, turning and chasing downfield shouldn’t be a problem.
- Flashes some physicality as a hitter.
- Can deliver the big hit and isn't afraid to jump inside to slow the ball.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Gets sloppy with his backpedal when playing off-man and seems to lack the instincts to close on the ball.
- Not an explosive player and needs to show better bend and flexibility in his drops - plays too high.
- Is susceptible to double moves, and too often gets unnecessarily handsy when playing trail position
Anthony Johnson Jr. percentiles vs other Safety's (NFL Combine historically - higher value represents better perfomance)
How other scouting services rate Anthony Johnson Jr. (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank