Draft Profile: BioMarcus Hooker from New Castle High School was rated a 3-star recruit by ESPN and handed a 3-star grade by 247 Sports. Following high school, Hooker opted to join Ohio State.
In 2019 as a freshman Hooker saw action in 7 games and played a total of 82 snaps at safety for the Buckeyes. He recorded just 3 tackles, one assist, while adding one stop. In coverage Hooker notched up no pass breakups, no interceptions, and QB rating when targetted of 56.3.
As a sophomore in 2020 he played in 5 games and logged 285 snaps for the Buckeyes. He made 14 tackles, one assist, and had 2 stops. In coverage he totaled 2 pass breakups, one interception, and a disapointing QB rating when targetted of 116.7.
In 2021 as a junior Hooker played in just 3 games and contributed on 39 snaps. He chalked up just 3 tackles, no assists, and added no stops. In the secondary Hooker forced no pass breakups, no interceptions, and gave up an elite QB rating when targetted of 39.6.
After season's end Hooker transferred to Youngstown State where as a senior for the Penguins in 2022 Hooker played in 6 games and took part in 233 snaps for the Penguins. He logged 19 tackles, 4 assists, and made 8 stops. In coverage Hooker had one pass breakup, 2 interceptions, and surrendered an elite QB rating when targetted of 52.2.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Plays with the natural balance and ultra-quick feet to mirror underneath, and he’s tremendous at reading routes and reading quarterbacks.
- A coordinated athlete with good footwork and balance. A heady cover player with above-average · feel and anticipation in space.
- Has the change-of-direction ability to mirror underneath but did solid work out of press and off coverage.
- Flashes good ball skills. Hooker has the fluidity and change-of-direction ability to mirror quicker receivers underneath.
- Shows good instincts when facing the action in zone coverage, and Hooker has solid ball skills.
- Hooker tracks the ball well and does a nice job of getting his head around in plenty of time to avoid flags.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- He’ll draw plenty of flags early on with his playing style. Hooker is hesitant when facing the action in zone coverage.
- Despite his size, he’s not an overly physical tackler. Hooker might have to add some weight at the next level in order to become more physical.
- Isn’t great in route recognition when he’s facing the action, is hesitant and susceptible to double moves, and too often gets unnecessarily handsy when playing trail position
How other scouting services rate Marcus Hooker (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank