Draft Profile: BioFollowing high school, Shelton opted to join San José State.
In 2018 as a freshman Shelton saw action in 4 games and played a total of 104 snaps at cornerback for the Spartans. He recorded just 4 tackles, no assists, while adding no stops. In coverage Shelton notched up 2 pass breakups, one interception, and an elite QB rating when targetted of 13.9.
As a sophomore in 2019 he played in 12 games and logged 615 snaps for the Spartans. He made 43 tackles, 2 assists, and had 12 stops. In coverage he totaled 5 pass breakups, 3 interceptions, and QB rating when targetted of 96.4.
In 2020 as a junior Shelton played in 8 games and contributed on 583 snaps. He chalked up 33 tackles, 6 assists, and added 10 stops. In the secondary Shelton forced 5 pass breakups, no interceptions, and gave up QB rating when targetted of 86.3.
In 2021 as a senior Shelton saw action in 10 games while playing 649 snaps. He logged solid 52 tackles, 7 assists, and made 16 stops. In coverage Shelton had 8 pass breakups, 2 interceptions, and surrendered a QB rating when targetted of 95.5.
In 2022 as a fifth year senior Shelton saw action in 11 games while playing 720 snaps. He logged 44 tackles, 7 assists, and made 13 stops. In coverage Shelton had 5 pass breakups, 2 interceptions, and surrendered a QB rating when targetted of 104.6.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Tracks the ball well downfield and shows good ball skills, including the ability to go up and high-point it in contested-catch situations.
- Shelton tracks the ball well and does a nice job of getting his head around in plenty of time to avoid flags.
- His ball skills are very good. He tracks the ball well downfield and has the hands and coordination to come away with interceptions even when Shelton isn’t targeted often.
- Tracks the ball well and has the natural ball skills for forcing turnovers.
- Alert defender for zone coverage, showing good understanding of route progressions occurring behind him and a quick burst downhill to break on underneath passes in front of him.
- Has the fluidity, speed and quick feet to come down and defend slot receivers in man coverage. Shelton also does a nice job breaking down in space as a tackler after the catch.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Gave up far too many big plays in college, especially concerning since Shelton has recovery speed to make up for missteps.
- Is not an asset in run support, looking tentative and underpowered when stepping up against the run.
- Inconsistent getting off of blocks. Can be a step slow to react when a quarterback comes back to his side of the field late in progression.
Nehemiah Shelton percentiles vs other Cornerback's (NFL Combine historically - higher value represents better perfomance)
How other scouting services rate Nehemiah Shelton (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank