Draft Profile: BioPJ Mustipher from McDonogh High School was rated a 4-star recruit by ESPN and handed a 4-star grade by 247 Sports. After high school, Mustipher joined Penn State after being heavily recruited.
In 2018 as a freshman Mustipher saw action in 12 games and played a total of 196 snaps for the Nittany Lions. He recorded just 9 tackles, 6 assists, while adding 7 stops. As a pass rusher, he added 5 total pressures, which included 5 QB hurries, no QB hits, and no sacks on the season.
As a sophomore for the Nittany Lions in 2019 Mustipher played in 13 games and took part in 436 snaps for the Nittany Lions. He recorded 25 tackles, 9 assists, while adding 20 stops. As a pass rusher, he chalked up 10 total pressures, and 8 QB hurries, one QB hit, and one sack during the year.
In 2020 as a junior Mustipher played in 9 games and contributed on 436 snaps. He recorded 24 tackles, 3 assists while making 20 stops. As a pass rusher, he produced 9 total pressures, which included 6 QB hurries, 2 QB hits, and one sack on the year.
In 2021 as a senior Mustipher logged playing time in 6 games and logged a total of 228 snaps for the Nittany Lions. He also added 22 tackles, 3 assists, and 16 stops. As a pass rusher, he tallied 3 total pressures, which included 2 QB hurries, no QB hits, and one sack on the season.
In 2022 as a fifth year senior Mustipher logged playing time in 12 games and logged a total of 421 snaps for the Nittany Lions. He also added 20 tackles, 10 assists, and 9 stops. As a pass rusher, he tallied 3 total pressures, which included 2 QB hurries, no QB hits, and one sack on the season.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Possesses the length and power to ward off offensive tackles.
- Delivers a strong punch and uses his hands to shed blocks to make plays in the hole or outside the box. Uses lower-body strength to anchor inside.
- His hand use is excellent; he’s strong in the upper body and consistently swats away blockers.
- Mustipher has pure power, which is emphasized by a good pad level. He can stand up at the point of attack and handle double teams, and Mustipher also has the ability to drive blockers back into the pocket with a bull rush.
- Shows a natural feel for setting up blockers and getting them off-balance. His hands are active and violent, and he quickly disengages with blockers and counters when his initial move stalls.
- Mustipher is strong enough in the lower body to hold up at the point of attack, and he displays a good feel as a grappler in the phone booth, consistently getting blockers off-balance before sending them to the ground.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Mustipher struggles with leverage off the snap and plays too tall, limiting his effectiveness as a pass rusher.
- Isn't able to consistently shed blocks and makes plays in the hole.
- Must improve hand use and read-and-react skills. Lacks the violent hands to shed and can be eliminated by double-team blocks.
PJ Mustipher percentiles vs other Defensive Tackle's (NFL Combine historically - higher value represents better perfomance)
How other scouting services rate PJ Mustipher (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank