Draft Profile: BioTanner Mordecai from Midway High School was rated a 4-star recruit by ESPN and handed a 4-star grade by 247 Sports. After high school, Mordecai opted to join Oklahoma.
In 2018 as a freshman Mordecai saw action in just 2 games for the Sooners as he threw for just 37 yards on 4 attempts with a completion percent of 50 for an average of 9.3 yards per pass, with no TDs, while taking no sacks, and a solid QB rating of 82.3.
In 2019 as a sophomore he played in 6 games as he passed for just 207 yards on 26 attempts with a completion percent of 61.5 for an average of 8.0 yards per pass, with just 2 TDs, while also taking no sacks, and putting up an excellent QB rating of 112.2.
As a junior in 2020 Mordecai played a total of 4 games. He passed for just 395 yards on 40 attempts and put up a completion percentage of 80 for an average of 9.9 yards per attempt, with just 2 TDs, and allowing 3 sacks, with an excellent QB rating on the year of 114.1.
After season's end Mordecai transferred to SMU where as a senior Mordecai saw action in 12 games as he threw for an outstanding 3623 yards on 453 attempts with a completion percent of 67.5 for an average of 8.0 yards per pass, with an outstanding 39 TDs, while taking 19 sacks, and totaling a QB rating of 110.3. He added 66 runs for a total of 306 yards at an average of 4.6 per run.
In 2022 as a fifth year senior Mordecai saw action in 11 games as he threw for an outstanding 3268 yards on 402 attempts with a completion percent of 63.9 for an average of 8.1 yards per pass, with an outstanding 31 TDs, while taking 17 sacks, and totaling a QB rating of 105.6. He added 43 runs for a total of 213 yards at an average of 5.0 per run.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Possesses an NFL arm. Gets the ball from one hash to the opposite sideline in a hurry. Has the zip to hit tight windows on short and intermediate throws.
- Mordecai moves effectively and can throw on the run. He’s at his best on bootlegs, showing zip and accuracy on those throws.
- Athletic build with plenty of room for another 10-15 pounds of muscle mass. Mobile quarterback who can buy time in the pocket and is a threat to gain yards with his feet.
- Enough arm strength to drive the ball through tight windows up to 20 yards downfield. Spreads the ball around to multiple receivers.
- He’s a pure athlete, loose-limbed and flexible. Mordecai has the speed to pick up yardage in scramble situations.
- He’s enough of a threat as a runner to make the read-option game effective.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Mordecai gets sloppy with his mechanics on the move, losing accuracy as Mordecai relies too much on his arm.
- He’s more comfortable throwing deep outside the numbers than working the middle of the field.
- Needs to improve his touch at all levels and know when to gun it and when to take something off his throws. Accuracy is solid, but far from great with streaky ball placement downfield as he tries to thread the needle too much.
Tanner Mordecai percentiles vs other Quarterback's (NFL Combine historically - higher value represents better perfomance)
How other scouting services rate Tanner Mordecai (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank