Draft Profile: BioTanner Mordecai from Midway High School was rated a 4 star recruit by ESPN and handed a 4 star grade by 247 Sports. Following high school Mordecai opted to join SMU.
In 2018 as a freshman Mordecai saw action in 2 games for the Mustangs as he threw for 37 yards on 4 attempts with a completion percent of 50 for an average of 9.3 yards per pass, with no TDs, while taking no sacks, and a QB rating of 82.3.
In 2019 as a sophomore he played in 6 games as he passed for 207 yards on 26 attempts with a completion percent of 61.5 for an average of 8.0 yards per pass, with 2 TDs, while also taking no sacks, and putting up a QB rating of 112.2.
As a junior in 2020 Mordecai played in a total of 4 games. He passed for 395 yards on 40 attempts and put up a completion percentage of 80 for an average of 9.9 yards per attept, with 2 TDs, and allowing 3 sacks, with a QB rating on the year of 114.1.
In 2021 as a senior Mordecai saw action in 12 games as he threw for 3623 yards on 453 attempts with a completion percent of 67.5 for an average of 8.0 yards per pass, with 39 TDs, while taking 19 sacks, and totaling a QB rating of 110.3. He added 66 runs for a total of 306 yards at an average of 4.6 per run.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Gets the ball out quickly, making ·splitsecond decisions. Good short to intermediate level accuracy, demonstrating the ball placement to allow receivers to run after the catch.
- Athletic quarterback who is a threat to leave the pocket and gain positive yardage at any time. Possesses very good vision balance, elusiveness and deceptive speed and power as a runner.
- Dual-threat quarterback with athletic footwork and mobility. Instinctive runner with very good toughness - uses stiff arms and runs with good body strength.
- Sees the field very well when the play breaks down and occasionally changes plays at the line.
- Good zip and ball placement on the quick slant. Good touch down the seam and on post-corner, flag routes to attack the defense vertically and horizontally.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Lacks poise in the pocket and abandons his reads too quickly. Takes too many chances.
- Needs to improve his touch at all levels and know when to gun it and when to take something off his throws. Accuracy is solid, but far from great with streaky ball placement downfield as he tries to thread the needle too much.
How other scouting services rate Tanner Mordecai (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank