Draft Profile: BioSean Clifford from St. Xavier High School was rated a 4 star recruit by ESPN and handed a 4 star grade by 247 Sports. Following high school, Clifford opted to join Penn State.
In 2018 as a freshman Clifford saw action in 4 games for the Nittany Lions as he threw for 195 yards on 7 attempts with a completion percent of 71.4 for an average of 27.9 yards per pass, with 2 TDs, while taking 2 sacks, and a QB rating of 153.3.
In 2019 as a sophomore he played in 12 games as he passed for 2654 yards on 321 attempts with a completion percent of 58.6 for an average of 8.3 yards per pass, with 23 TDs, while also taking 23 sacks, and putting up a QB rating of 100.1. He made 101 runs for a total of 483 yards at an average of 4.8 per rush.
As a junior in 2020 Clifford played in a total of 9 games. He passed for 1890 yards on 253 attempts and put up a completion percentage of 60.5 for an average of 7.5 yards per attept, with 16 TDs, and allowing 23 sacks, with a QB rating on the year of 89.9. As a runner he logged 82 runs for a total of 458 yards at an average of 5.6 per run.
In 2021 as a senior Clifford saw action in 13 games as he threw for 3106 yards on 431 attempts with a completion percent of 60.6 for an average of 7.2 yards per pass, with 21 TDs, while taking 32 sacks, and totaling a QB rating of 91.1. He added 68 runs for a total of 353 yards at an average of 5.2 per run.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Gets the ball out quickly, making ·splitsecond decisions. Good short to intermediate level accuracy, demonstrating the ball placement to allow receivers to run after the catch.
- Dual-threat quarterback with athletic footwork and mobility. Instinctive runner with very good toughness - uses stiff arms and runs with good body strength.
- Generally accurate on intermediate and short throws; flashes anticipation and placement on intermediate outs and the ability to lead receivers on deeper throws.
- Flashes good accuracy to all levels of the field and has the arm strength to make every requisite NFL throw.
- Good zip and ball placement on the quick slant. Good touch down the seam and on post-corner, flag routes to attack the defense vertically and horizontally.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Needs to improve his touch at all levels and know when to gun it and when to take something off his throws. Accuracy is solid, but far from great with streaky ball placement downfield as he tries to thread the needle too much.
- Has struggled with his decision-making and needs to improve his pre-snap recognition skills to read defenses and see blitzes. Doesn't decipher information as quickly as you would like, but does see the entire field and understands coverage.
How other scouting services rate Sean Clifford (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank