Draft Profile: BioSean Clifford from St. Xavier High School was rated a 4-star recruit by ESPN and handed a 4-star grade by 247 Sports. After high school, Clifford opted to join Penn State.
In 2018 as a freshman Clifford saw action in 4 games for the Nittany Lions as he threw for just 195 yards on 7 attempts with a completion percent of 71.4 for an average of 27.9 yards per pass, with just 2 TDs, while taking 2 sacks, and an outstanding QB rating of 153.3.
In 2019 as a sophomore he played in 12 games as he passed for an excellent 2654 yards on 321 attempts with a completion percent of 58.6 for an average of 8.3 yards per pass, with an excellent 23 TDs, while also taking 23 sacks, and putting up an excellent QB rating of 100.1. He made 101 runs for a total of 483 yards at an average of 4.8 per rush.
As a junior in 2020 Clifford played a total of 9 games. He passed for a solid 1890 yards on 253 attempts and put up a completion percentage of 60.5 for an average of 7.5 yards per attempt, with a solid 16 TDs, and allowing 23 sacks, with a solid QB rating on the year of 89.9. As a runner he logged 82 runs for a total of 458 yards at an average of 5.6 per run.
In 2021 as a senior Clifford saw action in 13 games as he threw for an outstanding 3106 yards on 431 attempts with a completion percent of 60.6 for an average of 7.2 yards per pass, with an excellent 21 TDs, while taking 32 sacks, and totaling a QB rating of 91.1. He added 68 runs for a total of 353 yards at an average of 5.2 per run.
In 2022 as a fifth year senior Clifford saw action in 12 games as he threw for an excellent 2543 yards on 330 attempts with a completion percent of 63.6 for an average of 7.7 yards per pass, with an excellent 22 TDs, while taking 15 sacks, and totaling a QB rating of 100.6. He added 52 runs for a total of 255 yards at an average of 4.9 per run.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- He’s a pure athlete, loose-limbed and flexible. Clifford has the speed to pick up yardage in scramble situations.
- Physically, Clifford is a natural athlete who plays with the balance and light feet to float in the pocket.
- He’s good enough as a runner to work read-option plays, keeping back-side defenders in place.
- He plays with a confident demeanor and has the athleticism to move out of the pocket and create plays out of structure.
- From a physical standpoint, a prototypical modern quarterback.
- Clifford must be accounted for when used in the read-option game.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Clifford gets sloppy with his mechanics on the move, losing accuracy as Clifford relies too much on his arm.
- Too often fails to give receivers a chance to make a play after the catch. High completion percentage padded by many quick screens.
- Clifford has a bad habit of fading and throwing off his back foot when the pocket gets muddled, and he is too often all arm when throwing on the move, sacrificing accuracy.
Sean Clifford percentiles vs other Quarterback's (NFL Combine historically - higher value represents better perfomance)
How other scouting services rate Sean Clifford (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank