Draft Profile: BioZach Calzada from Lanier High School was rated a 4-star recruit by ESPN and handed a 3-star grade by 247 Sports. After high school, Calzada opted to join Texas A&M.
In 2019 as a freshman Calzada saw action in just 3 games for the Aggies as he threw for just 133 yards on 24 attempts with a completion percent of 50 for an average of 5.5 yards per pass, with just 2 TDs, while taking 2 sacks, and a solid QB rating of 77.3.
In 2021 as a sophomore he played in 12 games as he passed for an impressive 2185 yards on 329 attempts with a completion percent of 55.9 for an average of 6.6 yards per pass, with a decent 17 TDs, while also taking 17 sacks, and putting up a decent QB rating of 82.2.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Good height and growing build to stand in the pocket.
- A tall, lean pocket passer with room to add weight, Calzada is an aggressive, confident downfield thrower.
- His height is an asset scanning the field, and he is a better mover than a typical tall quarterback.
- Calzada shows the ability to properly gauge deep receivers and effectively drop it in the bucket downfield. Calzada has the speed and athleticism to make plays with his legs, and he will be capable if asked to run read-option plays.
- He’s enough of a threat as a runner to make the read-option game effective.
- Very confident passer and shows good accuracy and feel when in rhythm. Showed better ball placement from past years and throws very catchable passes. Puts too much air in some of his throws and needs to show a lower trajectory on deep throws.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- His arm strength is decent but less than ideal; Calzada lacks a little zip, and accuracy becomes an issue when he’s unable or unwilling to set his feet.
- Calzada tends to hold the ball loosely and away from his body, putting him at risk for strip sacks.
- Calzada has a bad habit of fading and throwing off his back foot when the pocket gets muddled, and he is too often all arm when throwing on the move, sacrificing accuracy.
How other scouting services rate Zach Calzada (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank