Drafted: ROUND: 4 - Pick Number: 106 (TB)
Draft Profile: BioCade Otton played iron man football in high school - playing tight end on offense and linebacker on defense. It was obvious he was most suited to the offensive side of the ball and he was given a three-star recruiting grade by ESPN at tight end.
Otton opted to stay local and joined his hometown Huskies where he logged significant time in his first year.
As a sophomore Otton started 13 games and chalked up 32 catches with 344 yds and this was followed by 18 reception 258 yd season in 2020 in only four games. He was handed first-team All-Pac-12 honors following his sophomore season.
Otton's final season in Washington was solid if unspectacular where in eight games he logged 250 yds on 28 receptions - he missed four games due to an injury and COVID related issues
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Decent size for position
- Very good route runner - a student of the game
- Good fundementals as a blocker
- Plays every play never takes plays off
- Very versitile - has lined up in-line, in the slot, and outside
- Varies the speed of his route, using hesitation and shoulder fakes to get the defender guessing.
- Good strength and effort to run through arm tackles.
- Good effort at the point of attack and second level as a blocker. Intelligent and will quickly acclimate to an NFL offense.
- Soft hands. Flashes good to very good tracking and overall body control to make catches outside of his frame.
- Catches well in traffic, shields the ball from defenders with his frame, and holds on despite being hit. Will fully extend, snatch, and stay in bounds.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Not a great athlete - doesn't have elite speed without a great YAC ability
- A good blocker but lacks the power to drive through blocks and dominate defenders - will need to improve his strength in the NFL
- Has never put up great numbers as a receiver and used as major component in the passing game
- Inconsistent with his release off the line of scrimmage.
- Only average lateral agility to elude and might not be fast enough to be a consistent threat down the seam against NFL competition.
- Is a bit high-hipped and slow to get rolling. Frame limits upside as a blocker.
- Struggles tracking the ball over his shoulder.
- High cut frame and limited power in hands prevent a top blocking grade.
Scouting Report: SummaryCade Otton has decent but not great athletic ability coupled with an excellent technique and experience at the position. He has good soft hands but with limited speed and explosiveness who may find life in the NFL difficult. His blocking is technically sound but he doesn't possess the power to dominate NFL-level lineman and thus has limited upside at the next level. However, if he can work on improving his strength as a blocker he does have a role as a potential starter in the pros.
We view Otton as a third-fourth round pick in the 2022 NFL Draft - with a chance to significantly boost his stock with a good performance at the combine.
How other scouting services rate Cade Otton (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank