Draft Profile: BioAfter high school, Martial joined Troy.
In 2018 as a freshman Martial saw action in 12 games and played a total of 426 snaps at Linebacker for the Trojans. He recorded 44 tackles, 17 assists, while adding 39 stops. In coverage Martial notched up one pass breakup, no interceptions, and QB rating when targetted of 102.8. As a pass rusher, he added 17 total pressures, which included 10 QB hurries, 4 QB hits, and 3 sacks on the season.
As a sophomore for the Trojans in 2019 Martial played in 12 games and took part in 837 snaps for the Trojans. He recorded decent 93 tackles, 30 assists, while adding 64 stops. In coverage Martial made 3 pass breakups, 3 interceptions, and an outstanding QB rating when targetted of 51.7. As a pass rusher, he chalked up 25 total pressures, and 18 QB hurries, 4 QB hits, and 3 sacks during the year.
In 2020 as a junior Martial played in 11 games and contributed on 713 snaps. He recorded decent 86 tackles, 23 assists while making 56 stops. In coverage Martial chalked up one pass breakup, one interception, and a solid QB rating when targetted of 89.3. As a pass rusher, he produced 10 total pressures, which included 8 QB hurries, one QB hit, and one sack on the year.
In 2021 as a senior Martial logged playing time in 12 games and logged a total of 699 snaps for the Trojans. He also added decent 81 tackles, 34 assists, and 52 stops. While in coverage Martial made 2 pass breakups, one interception, and a solid QB rating when targetted of 78.6. As a pass rusher, he tallied 18 total pressures, which included 13 QB hurries, 3 QB hits, and 2 sacks on the season.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Good closing speed with long arms to drag down quarterbacks and running backs.
- He’s rangy and instinctive when he’s looking into the backfield as a zone defender.
- Martial shows good quickness off the line of scrimmage and flashes the violent hands to win around the edge.
- Gets pressures on inside stunts and was too explosive for college guards to handle.
- Martial can move laterally and chase in pursuit. A tough, violent tackler with a non-stop motor, Martial also shows good awareness when dropping into coverage.
- An undersized but explosive athlete, Is a sideline-to-sideline playmaker. He’s a fluid mover who reads, reacts and accelerates quickly.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Lacks functional strength in the pass rush, struggling to disengage and too easily pushed past the pocket.
- Can be too hesitant when Martial doesn't find the ball immediately.
- Slips off too many ballcarriers and needs to complete tackles - will go for the big hit instead of consistently wrapping up.
How other scouting services rate Carlton Martial (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank