Draft Profile: BioDJ Dale from Clay-Chalkville High School was rated a 4-star recruit by ESPN and handed a 4-star grade by 247 Sports. After high school, Dale joined Alabama after being heavily recruited.
In 2019 as a freshman Dale saw action in 10 games and played a total of 349 snaps for the Crimson Tide. He recorded 13 tackles, 4 assists, while adding 10 stops. As a pass rusher, he added 7 total pressures, which included 6 QB hurries, no QB hits, and one sack on the season.
As a sophomore for the Crimson Tide in 2020 Dale played in 13 games and took part in 383 snaps for the Crimson Tide. He recorded 14 tackles, 8 assists, while adding 7 stops. As a pass rusher, he chalked up 4 total pressures, and 3 QB hurries, one QB hit, and no sacks during the year.
In 2021 as a junior Dale played in 13 games and contributed on 360 snaps. He recorded 13 tackles, 3 assists while making 10 stops. As a pass rusher, he produced 5 total pressures, which included 3 QB hurries, no QB hits, and 2 sacks on the year.
In 2022 as a senior Dale logged playing time in 11 games and logged a total of 336 snaps for the Crimson Tide. He also added 13 tackles, 3 assists, and 13 stops. As a pass rusher, he tallied 13 total pressures, which included 10 QB hurries, no QB hits, and 3 sacks on the season.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- He’s a high-motor player, and Dale shows good enough hand use, as well as a tight spin move, to win as an edge rusher.
- Combines strength and footwork to fill holes inside, as well. Recovers from cut blocks or falling on his way to make a tackle.
- Dale has the strong core and powerful hands to shed blockers, and he shows excellent instincts with the ability to quickly locate the ball.
- Played with good leverage, even on the nose, despite average bulk. Hustle defender with a good bull rush inside that can close and get home when quarterbacks leave the pocket.
- Rarely goes to the ground, showing good balance from his high school wrestling days.
- Strength gives ends a chance to twist inside and linebackers free lane to the passer on blitzes.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Good strength, though his marginal arm length limits his ability to grab hold of ballcarriers as they run by.
- Dale has to develop a counter move or two in the pass rush, and Dale needs to make better use of his hands.
- Dale lacks the speed and range to consistently chase down plays in pursuit.
DJ Dale percentiles vs other Defensive Linemen (NFL Combine historically - higher value represents better perfomance)
Update - 04/20/2023Senior Bowl notes: After the first practice here Dale is making a case that he can play a bigger role at the next level. He constantly challenged interior offensive linemen with great leverage and penetration.
At the combine, Dale looks to have hurt his stock by putting up the following --- 40 Time: 5.26 | Vertical: 25.5″ | Broad: 8-2 | 3-Cone: 7.69. All are very disappointing numbers between the 10th and 25th percentile. In addition, he lacked explosion in the drills.
How other scouting services rate DJ Dale (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank