Draft Profile: BioDrake Thomas from Heritage High High School was rated a 3-star recruit by ESPN and handed a 3-star grade by 247 Sports. After high school, Thomas joined NC State.
In 2019 as a freshman Thomas saw action in 12 games and played a total of 352 snaps at Linebacker for the Wolfpack. He recorded 24 tackles, 10 assists, while adding 20 stops. In coverage Thomas notched up one pass breakup, one interception, and QB rating when targetted of 97.6. As a pass rusher, he added 5 total pressures, which included 3 QB hurries, no QB hits, and 2 sacks on the season.
As a sophomore for the Wolfpack in 2020 Thomas played in 10 games and took part in 576 snaps for the Wolfpack. He recorded 38 tackles, 17 assists, while adding 27 stops. In coverage Thomas made one pass breakup, no interceptions, and an impressive QB rating when targetted of 68.8. As a pass rusher, he chalked up 13 total pressures, and 8 QB hurries, 2 QB hits, and 3 sacks during the year.
In 2021 as a junior Thomas played in 12 games and contributed on 758 snaps. He recorded solid 65 tackles, 23 assists while making 49 stops. In coverage Thomas chalked up 4 pass breakups, 3 interceptions, and an elite QB rating when targetted of 45.9. As a pass rusher, he produced 24 total pressures, which included 17 QB hurries, 2 QB hits, and a solid 5 sacks on the year.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Trusts his eyes and shows no hesitation with good anticipation to avoid blockers.
- Thomas has an excellent feel for working off blockers and knowing how and when to counter as the play goes on.
- Quick to read run, showing good agility and speed to get past blockers and finish. Experienced in coverage and gets a strong jam on outside receivers.
- He can move laterally and chase in pursuit. A tough, violent tackler with a non-stop motor, Thomas also shows good awareness when dropping into coverage.
- He’s an instinctive and active chase-and-tackle 4-3 Will, with the speed to go sideline to sideline. He takes excellent angles. He also has an innate sense for shooting gaps as a run defender.
- Thomas can be used as a rangy run defender inside, instinctive when it comes to locating the ball with the quickness to get to it before blockers can react at the second level.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Thomas lacks the ability to anchor and set the edge as a run defender, and Thomas too often gets caught up in the wash when chasing in pursuit.
- He’ll also need to be covered in the run game, more of a Will than a Mike in a 4-3 alignment.
- . Thomas doesn’t have elite take-on skills. He’s not a violent hitter, but more of a grab-and-drag tackler. He’s also limited in man coverage, and he won’t be able to run with athletic tight ends.
How other scouting services rate Drake Thomas (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank