Draft Profile: BioGabe Houy from Upper Saint Clair High School was rated a star recruit by ESPN and handed a 3 star grade by 247 Sports. Following high school, Houy opted to join Pittsburgh.
In 2018 as a freshman Houy saw action in 7 games and played on a total of 75 snaps for the Panthers. He allowed one QB hurry, no QB hits, and no sacks while playing most of his snaps at right tackle.
As a sophomore in 2019 he played in 12 games and a total of 591 snaps. He conceded 10 QB hurries, 3 QB hits, and 2 sacks while playing the majority of his snaps at right guard, and the rest at tight tackle.
In 2020 as a junior Houy saw action in 9 games and totaled 550 snaps. He gave up 18 QB hurries, 2 QB hits, and one sack while playing most of his snaps at right tackle.
In 2021 as a senior Houy saw action in 12 games and played on a total of 796 snaps for the Panthers. He allowed 12 QB hurries, 3 QB hits, and 2 sacks while playing the majority of his snaps at tight tackle, and the rest at right guard.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Anchors against larger defenders in the middle; resets hands to maintain distance. Athletic enough to help on nose tackle then pick up twist or late blitzer. Mirrors quick interior rushers. Looks to help the center when uncovered.
- If a scout were to draw up a starting NFL left tackle, the picture may look like a lot like Adams. His height, length and athletic build are prototypical for the position that helps protect the blind side of ultra-important starting quarterbacks.
- Has broad shoulders and flashes the playing strength and power to overwhelm at the point of attack.
- Moves well and squares to finish on the move. Better anchor than his height suggests and capable of absorbing a punch and recovering quickly.
- Attacks his man, playing with a wide base and the lateral agility to mirror, sustain and shuffle to help inside. Has the size, strength and quick feet to be effective as a position run-blocker.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Has inconsistent footwork and body positioning and needs to improve his blocking angles.
- Lacks foot speed to be a major threat as a lead blocker outside. Inconsistent latching on and gets lazy, bending at the waist.
How other scouting services rate Gabe Houy (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank