Draft Profile: BioGabe Houy from Upper Saint Clair High School was rated a 3-star recruit by ESPN and handed a 3-star grade by 247 Sports. Following high school, Houy opted to join Pittsburgh.
In 2018 as a freshman Houy saw action in 7 games and played a total of 75 snaps for the Panthers. He allowed just one QB hurry, no QB hits, and no sacks while playing most of his snaps at right tackle.
As a sophomore in 2019 he played in 12 games and a total of 591 snaps. He conceded 10 QB hurries, 3 QB hits, and 2 sacks while playing the majority of his snaps at right guard, and the rest at tight tackle.
In 2020 as a junior Houy saw action in 9 games and totaled 550 snaps. He gave up a disappointing 18 QB hurries, 2 QB hits, and one sack while playing most of his snaps at right tackle.
In 2021 as a senior Houy saw action in 12 games and played a total of 796 snaps for the Panthers. He allowed 12 QB hurries, 3 QB hits, and 2 sacks while playing the majority of his snaps at tight tackle, and the rest at right guard.
In 2022 as a fifth year senior Houy saw action in 8 games and played a total of 377 snaps for the Panthers. He allowed 9 QB hurries, 3 QB hits, and no sacks while playing at right tackle.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Consistently lands blocks at the second level, and Houy finishes strong. As a pass protector, he has violent, heavy hands. Along with a strong initial punch, he has the hand strength to grip and redirect pass rushers.
- A work in progress with some raw tools, has a solid blend of length and agility. Houy has a powerful upper body and does an impressive job using his length, with power behind his initial punch and the grip to grab and move defenders.
- Does a nice job on the second level, moving upfield quickly and showing the flexibility and balance to land blocks in space.
- Displays good awareness when it comes to reading moving bodies, effectively reacting and adjusting. He also shows a good feel for combo blocks.
- He’s especially light on his feet considering his size, a fluid mover who has natural balance as he kick-slides and sets. Houy has the long arms to ward off pass rushers and send them flying past the pocket.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- While Houy moves well in the run game, he’s not an elite athlete and doesn’t have the potential to stick at left tackle in the NFL.
- Has fairly heavy feet, struggling to mirror against quicker defenders. Houy lacks the range to get out as an effective puller, and he can often look stiff when moving out into space and zeroing in on bodies.
- For all of his physical gifts, often gets terribly sloppy, especially in pass protection.
- Isn't an elite quick-twitch blocker and his height causes him to be out-quicked. Leaks inside pressure when his technique gets sloppy.
Gabe Houy percentiles vs other Offensive Tackle's (NFL Combine historically - higher value represents better perfomance)
How other scouting services rate Gabe Houy (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank