Draft Profile: BioJohari Branch from Phillips Academy High School was rated a 3-star recruit by ESPN and handed a 3-star grade by 247 Sports. Following high school, Branch opted to join Eastern Illinois.
In 2018 as a freshman Branch saw action in just one game and played a total of 63 snaps for the Panthers. He allowed no QB hurries, no QB hits, and no sacks while playing at left guard.
After the season Branch transferred to Maryland where as a sophomore for the Terrapins in 2020 Branch he played in 5 games and a total of 309 snaps. He conceded a solid 5 QB hurries, one QB hit, and 4 sacks while playing at left guard.
In 2021 as a junior Branch saw action in 13 games and totaled 879 snaps. He gave up a solid 7 QB hurries, no QB hits, and one sack while playing most of his snaps at right guard.
In 2022 as a senior Branch saw action in 4 games and played a total of 245 snaps for the Terrapins. He allowed a solid 5 QB hurries, no QB hits, and one sack while playing most of his snaps at center.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- In pass protection, Branch flashes a strong initial punch and typically has good hand placement.
- He’s a coordinated athlete who can win at the point of attack in the run game, and he can also move to consistently land blocks at the second level.
- Effective grappling in the phone booth, with the upper-body strength and strong hands to outbattle defenders. Branch also shows a good understanding of angles when moving out to the second level
- has strong arms and a powerful grip, and he displays the core strength and leg drive that allow him to create movement at the line of scrimmage.
- Displays good awareness when it comes to reading moving bodies, effectively reacting and adjusting. Branch also shows a good feel for combo blocks.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Lacks foot speed to be a major threat as a lead blocker outside. Inconsistent latching on and gets lazy, bending at the waist.
- Could be a liability against speed-to-power pass rushers early in his career.
- Lacks ideal movement skills in the run game. He’ll get to the second level, but Branch tends to lock on to a path toward his target and then struggles if he has to adjust.
- A short-area blocker with limited range and doesn't consistently get to the second level. Will play undisciplined at times, especially in space. Lacks a finishing attitude.
How other scouting services rate Johari Branch (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank