Draft Profile: BioJosh DeBerry attended De La Salle Collegiate High School and was rated a 3-star prospect by 247 Sports with a scout's rating of 0.850, going unranked by ESPN. Following high school, DeBerry opted to join Boston College.
In 2019 as a freshman DeBerry saw action in 5 games and played a total of 131 snaps at Cornerback for the Eagles. He recorded only 5 tackles, 4 assists, while adding one stop. In coverage DeBerry notched up 4 pass breakups, no interceptions, and a solid QB rating when targetted of 76.5.
As a sophomore in 2020 he played in 10 games and logged 560 snaps for the Eagles. He made 39 tackles, 5 assists, and had 12 stops. In coverage he totaled 4 pass breakups, one interception, and a solid QB rating when targetted of 75.6.
In 2021 as a junior DeBerry played in 10 games and contributed on 548 snaps. He chalked up 48 tackles, 8 assists, and added 22 stops. In the secondary DeBerry forced 3 pass breakups, 2 interceptions, and gave up a very good QB rating when targetted of 57.8. He also logged 8 total pressures, and one sack on the year
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Instincts are outstanding, and DeBerry does an excellent job in route recognition.
- Tracks the ball well downfield and shows good ball skills, including the ability to go up and high-point it in contested-catch situations.
- Shows good instincts when facing the action in zone coverage, and he has solid ball skills.
- Effective out of the slot, showing the instincts and quickness to mirror when the receiver has a two-way go. DeBerry has good instincts and awareness when playing off, showing good route recognition and anticipation when breaking on the ball.
- He’ll line up in press at times, where he has a quick and powerful punch. His ball skills are good, and he plays with an extremely confident and competitive demeanor.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- At this point, DeBerry can get outmuscled. DeBerry also might be susceptible to catch and- run plays. He’ll give effort in run support, but he’s going to struggle to get off blocks against physical outside receivers.
- Needs to develop a better understanding of route combinations and better overall vision.
- Might not be the kind of pure shutdown corner that the top prospects in this draft have the skill set to become, but offers scheme versatility and the ability to slide inside and cover the slot.
- Tends to play conservatively and give too much cushion when playing off.
How other scouting services rate Josh DeBerry (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank