Draft Profile: BioJosh Proctor from Owasso High School was rated a 4-star recruit by ESPN and handed a 4-star grade by 247 Sports. Following high school, Proctor opted to join Ohio State after being heavily recruited.
In 2018 as a freshman Proctor saw action in just 2 games and played a total of 3 snaps at linebacker for the Buckeyes. He recorded no tackles, no assists, while adding no stops. In coverage Proctor notched up no pass breakups, no interceptions, and an elite QB rating when targetted of .0.
As a sophomore in 2019 he played in 11 games and logged 129 snaps for the Buckeyes. He made 10 tackles, no assists, and had 2 stops. In coverage he totaled 3 pass breakups, one interception, and QB rating when targetted of 77.1.
In 2020 as a junior Proctor played in 7 games and contributed on 357 snaps. He chalked up 21 tackles, one assist, and added 5 stops. In the secondary Proctor forced no pass breakups, one interception, and gave up QB rating when targetted of 89.3.
In 2021 as a senior Proctor saw action in 2 games while playing 84 snaps. He logged 10 tackles, one assist, and made 2 stops. In coverage Proctor had no pass breakups, no interceptions, and surrendered an elite QB rating when targetted of .0.
In 2022 as a fifth year senior Proctor saw action in 8 games while playing 192 snaps. He logged 14 tackles, 11 assists, and made 9 stops. In coverage Proctor had one pass breakup, no interceptions, and surrendered a disapointing QB rating when targetted of 135.1.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Eager to come downhill as a tackler and plays with a physical edge, and he’s effective as a blitzer.
- Good speed in pursuit with the chase skills to track down the ballcarrier.
- Quicker than Proctor is fast but has a burst to close in zone coverage and plays physical at the line in man.
- Gives up his body in run support with a very good closing burst.
- Reads and deciphers quickly, reacting in a flash with a nose for the ball. Jumps routes and drives fast on plays in front of him.
- Great on route recognition and has click-and-close ability
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Gets sloppy with his backpedal when playing off-man and seems to lack the instincts to close on the ball.
- Inconsistent getting off of blocks. Can be a step slow to react when a quarterback comes back to his side of the field late in progression.
- While Proctor has man coverage skills, he can struggle when sitting back in zone. He’s not instinctive and struggles reading downfield routes and tracking the deep ball.
Josh Proctor percentiles vs other Safety's (NFL Combine historically - higher value represents better perfomance)
How other scouting services rate Josh Proctor (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank