Draft Profile: BioDeMarcco Hellams attended DeMatha Catholic High School and was rated a 4-star prospect by 247 Sports with a scout's rating of 0.960, going unranked by ESPN. Following high school, Hellams opted to join Alabama after being heavily recruited.
In 2019 as a freshman Hellams saw action in 7 games and played a total of 29 snaps at Safety for the Crimson Tide. He recorded just one tackle, one assist, while adding one stop. In coverage Hellams notched up no pass break ups, no interceptions, and a decent QB rating when targetted of 79.2.
As a sophomore in 2020 he played in 12 games and logged 453 snaps for the Crimson Tide. He made 37 tackles, 15 assists, and had 9 stops. In coverage he totaled 4 pass break ups, no interceptions, and QB rating when targetted of 106.3.
In 2021 as a junior Hellams played in 14 games and contributed on 758 snaps. He chalked up solid 67 tackles, 18 assists, and added 16 stops. In the secondary Hellams forced 4 pass break ups, 3 interceptions, and gave up an impressive QB rating when targetted of 72.2.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Eager to come downhill as a tackler and plays with a physical edge, and he’s effective as a blitzer.
- Has an NFL frame with strong hands, the ability to close quickly on underneath routes and the size to tackle with a thump.
- He’s tall-framed with long arms to match. With his powerful hands, straight-line speed, and fluidity in his hips, turning and chasing downfield shouldn’t be a problem.
- Can deliver the big hit and isn't afraid to jump inside to slow the ball.
- Closes to the ball quite well and possesses the hands to snatch throws away from his frame.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- While Hellams has man coverage skills, he can struggle when sitting back in zone. He’s not instinctive and struggles reading downfield routes and tracking the deep ball.
- Gets sloppy with his backpedal when playing off-man and seems to lack the instincts to close on the ball.
- Tends to play conservatively and give too much cushion when playing off.
- He’ll draw plenty of flags early on with his playing style. Hellams is hesitant when facing the action in zone coverage.
How other scouting services rate DeMarcco Hellams (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank