Drafted: ROUND: 6 - Pick Number: 187 (NE)
Draft Profile: BioKayshon Boutte from Westgate High School was rated a 4-star recruit by ESPN and handed a 5-star grade by 247 Sports. Following high school, Boutte opted to join LSU.
In 2020 as a freshman Boutte saw action in 10 games for the Tigers as he made 45 receptions for 735 yards for an average of 16.3 yards per reception, with 5 TDs, and a QB rating when targeted of 108.2.
Boutte set the SEC record for receiving yards in a game in the season-finale against Ole Miss with 308 yards and 3 TDs on 14 receptions. As a result of an impressive 2020 campaign, Boutte was awarded a spot on the All-SEC Freshman team.
As a sophomore in 2021 he played in 6 games and had 37 catches for 503 yards for an average of 13.6 yards per catch, with 9 TDs, and a QB rating when targeted of 145.3.
As a junior in 2022 he played 11 games and hauled in an impressive 48 catches for 538 yards for an average of 11.2 yards per catch, with 2 TDs, and a QB rating when targeted of 91.0.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Very good hands accepts the ball fluidly on most throws and is ready to make a play afterward. Makes catches in traffic, even going up over taller defenders with vertical and toughness.
- Combines speed, balance, quickness, vision, and crisp cuts to leave defensive backs and linebackers in the dust.
- Has elite speed and cutting ability and good hands and toughness who is a big play threat
- Does a nice job locating and tracking deep passes and is a legitimate vertical threat. Willing to go up and attack the ball and able to quickly contort his body to catch off-target throws
- Fluid athlete with explosive burst and speed to stretch the field and breeze past defenders. Has a quick first step and gets to top speed in a hurry.
- His stats are more impressive than an initial glance shows - he made 503 yds in 2021 but this was in just 6 games
- Moves well laterally and is quick twitchy with rare suddenness and forces DBs to maintain a big cushion
- A savvy, natural pass-catcher with reliable hands and very good focus. Snatches the ball out of the air and shows the concentration to make acrobatic catches look easy.
- Flashes the foot quickness and toughness to handle slot duties at the next level and lines up all over the field. Dangerous with the ball in his hands.
- Very solid player who has the robust frame to stand up to the wear and tear of the pro game. Also has the ideal size and length to play outside and dominate
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Had a very serious leg injury in 2021 that cut short what was on track to be an outstanding season. This will need to check out medically if there are visible related issues in 2022
- Does not always use his hands to secure deep throws, allowing the ball into his pads and chest - needs to improve concentration
- Has all the obvious athletic ability to play the X but has been used very little in this aspect - ideally, he will use 2022 as a chance to showcase a more diverse skill set
Scouting Report: SummaryBoutte is one of the most athletically gifted players in the 2023 class, who possess great speed, acceleration, and size and combines these traits with decent hands and outstanding route running. Our only reservation is the medical issue of which if he has a quality year in 2022 Boutte could easily become the top-rated receiver come the 2023 NFL Draft.
Kayshon Boutte percentiles vs other Wide Receiver's (NFL Combine historically - higher value represents better perfomance)
Update - 03/12/2023Boutte really needed the combine to showcase his athletic ability, but that wasn't the case. He ranked low in all athletic testing except for the 40-yard dash where he was just average.
How other scouting services rate Kayshon Boutte (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank