Draft Profile: BioLeonard Taylor from Miami Palmetto High School was rated a 5-star recruit by ESPN and handed a 5-star grade by 247 Sports. After high school, Taylor joined Miami after being heavily recruited.
In 2021 as a freshman Taylor saw action in 9 games and played a total of 200 snaps for the Hurricanes. He recorded just 9 tackles, 9 assists, while adding 10 stops. As a pass rusher, he added 7 total pressures, which included 4 QB hurries, one QB hit, and 2 sacks on the season.
As a sophomore for the Hurricanes in 2022 Taylor played in 12 games and took part in 329 snaps for the Hurricanes. He recorded 17 tackles, 5 assists, while adding 18 stops. As a pass rusher, he chalked up 25 total pressures, and 15 QB hurries, 6 QB hits, and 4 sacks during the year.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Quick footed with rare burst for his size. Very good quickness off the snap to split defenders and penetrate the pocket.
- Taylor looks like a potential pro starter and top 120 pick, ideally suited for a team that utilizes a rotation heavy defensive line.
- With a powerful lower body and the ability to hold up at the point of attack as a run defender, Taylor is remarkably instinctive.
- He’s extremely thick through the lower body, and he uses his natural leverage to win at the point of attack, often requiring a double team.
- He’s quick to react and locate the ball, and he shows enough speed to succeed in backside pursuit. Taylor plays with excellent balance and a strong, flexible core, rarely ending up on the ground.
- Strong tackler. Has good power in hands and can anchor, shed, and chase.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Taylor remains a bit raw, as Taylor is inconsistent with his hand use and lacks violence in his hands
- He frequently fails to locate the ball in the run game, too often taking himself out of plays.
- Taylor struggles with leverage off the snap and plays too tall, limiting his effectiveness as a pass rusher.
How other scouting services rate Leonard Taylor III (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank