Draft Profile: BioMatt Goncalves from Eastport-South Manor High School was rated a 3-star recruit by ESPN and handed a 4-star grade by 247 Sports. Following high school, Goncalves opted to join Pittsburgh.
In 2020 as a freshman Goncalves saw action in 7 games and played a total of 240 snaps for the Panthers. He allowed 5 QB hurries, one QB hit, and no sacks while playing the majority of his snaps at left tackle, and the rest at left guard.
As a sophomore in 2021 he played in 13 games and a total of 519 snaps. He conceded 8 QB hurries, 3 QB hits, and 3 sacks while playing most of his snaps at right tackle.
In 2022 as a junior Goncalves saw action in 12 games and totaled 736 snaps. He gave up 7 QB hurries, 4 QB hits, and no sacks while playing the majority of his snaps at tight tackle, and the rest at left tackle.
In 2023 as a senior Goncalves saw action in just 3 games and played a total of 165 snaps for the Panthers. He allowed just 3 QB hurries, one QB hit, and no sacks while playing at left tackle.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Goncalves has a prototypical build for the edge. Along with his height, Goncalves has broad shoulders and a tapered, athletic build, as well long arms
- Fires off the snap quickly, and he shows the flexibility to get out and seal on reach blocks. He’s at his best, however, in the phone booth.
- With a thick build and a naturally wide base, he brings power and physicality in the run game.
- Strong upper body, arms and hands. Coordinated feet with the flexibility for offensive tackle. Hard worker.
- Has a naturally wide base, thickly build and good length. Long legs to cover a lot of ground with his initial kick slide. Has the quickness to set up quickly with enough lateral shuffle to mirror and mobility to get to the second level.
- Plays with natural leverage and has the strength to anchor against the bull rush. Goncalves also packs a violent initial punch that can stand up pass rushers.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Needs to work on his technique in pass protection, using more consistent leverage and continuing to move his feet.
- Susceptible to speed rushers. Has only average quickness off the snap and doesn't possess the acceleration or arm length to corral defenders once they cross his face.
- Can look a little shaky in pass protection against speed-to-power, as his upper and lower body aren’t always coordinated.
How other scouting services rate Matt Goncalves (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank