Draft Profile: BioMykel Jones from Patterson High School was rated a 4-star recruit by ESPN and handed a 3-star grade by 247 Sports. After high school, Jones opted to join Oklahoma.
In 2018 as a freshman Jones saw action in just 2 games for the Sooners as he made 2 receptions for just 37 yards for an average of 18.5 yards per reception, with no TDs, and an excellent QB rating when targeted of 109.0.
As a sophomore in 2019 he played 5 games and had just 2 catches for 42 yards for an average of 21.0 yards per catch, with no TDs, and an excellent QB rating when targeted of 118.8.
After season's end Jones transferred to Tulane where as a junior in 2020 he played 11 games and hauled in just 11 catches for 154 yards for an average of 14.0 yards per catch, with one TD, and QB rating when targeted of 63.1.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Has a knack for getting open and is a quarterback's best friend - passers just need to toss the ball in his area and he'll come down with it.
- Has the strong hands any NFL wide receiver coach and quarterback would covet. Tracks the deep ball over either shoulder and brings in passes fluidly without breaking stride downfield.
- Jones has reliable hands and shows the willingness to make catches in traffic over the middle.
- Jones fights his way off the line of scrimmage against press coverage, showing quick, violent hands and good balance.
- He’s coordinated with soft, reliable hands, and Jones shows the ability to adjust to balls thrown behind him, as well as a knack for digging out low throws.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- His ability to track the ball is good enough, but Jones too often let the ball get into his body downfield rather than snatching it with his hands.
- Does not own elite speed. Freezes at times when trying to juke defenders in space. Walls off his man as a blocker, allowing them to shed and make the play outside.
- He’ll be coming to the NFL from a wide-open spread offense in which he ran a limited route tree.
- Has only average height and overall length. Lacks initial burst off the line of scrimmage and has more build-up speed than track wheels. Limited explosiveness and flexibility and will struggle to separate against pro defensive backs
How other scouting services rate Mykel Jones (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank