Draft Profile: BioA.J. Hampton Jr. attended Wharton High School and was rated a 3-star prospect by 247 Sports with a scout's rating of 0.840, going unranked by ESPN. Following high school, Hampton Jr. opted to join Northwestern.
In 2018 as a freshman Hampton Jr. saw action in just 2 games and played a total of 14 snaps at cornerback for the Wildcats. He recorded just 2 tackles, no assists, while adding no stops. In coverage Hampton Jr. notched up no pass breakups, no interceptions, and a disapointing QB rating when targetted of 118.8.
As a sophomore in 2019 he played in 11 games and logged 284 snaps for the Wildcats. He made 14 tackles, 3 assists, and had 3 stops. In coverage he totaled no pass breakups, one interception, and QB rating when targetted of 106.0.
In 2020 as a junior Hampton Jr. played in 8 games and contributed on 328 snaps. He chalked up 21 tackles, 6 assists, and added 10 stops. In the secondary Hampton Jr. forced 3 pass breakups, one interception, and gave up an impressive QB rating when targetted of 65.5.
In 2021 as a senior Hampton Jr. saw action in 12 games while playing 683 snaps. He logged 40 tackles, one assist, and made 6 stops. In coverage Hampton Jr. had 10 pass breakups, no interceptions, and surrendered QB rating when targetted of 107.4.
In 2022 as a fifth year senior Hampton Jr. saw action in 7 games while playing 369 snaps. He logged 17 tackles, 3 assists, and made 2 stops. In coverage Hampton Jr. had no pass breakups, no interceptions, and surrendered a decent QB rating when targetted of 79.1.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- He’ll line up in press at times, where Hampton has a quick and powerful punch. His ball skills are good, and he plays with an extremely confident and competitive demeanor.
- Does a good job getting his head around in time when playing with his back to the line of scrimmage. Has the ability to cover quickness underneath.
- Stays low in his backpedal and shows the click-and-close ability to break up plays in front of him. Hampton can move well laterally and shows excellent instincts when looking into the backfield in zone coverage.
- Has at least adequate straight-line speed and good balance, fluidity to change direction.
- Can track the ball downfield and gets his head around when playing in a trail position, and he shows excellent ball skills when breaking on a route. He’s a plus tackler in run support as well.
- A coordinated athlete with good footwork and balance. A heady cover player with above-average · feel and anticipation in space.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Doesn’t have much on his frame, and considering his relatively narrow shoulders, Hampton might not be able to add much and keep his twitch at an elite level.
- Gets sloppy with his backpedal when playing off-man and seems to lack the instincts to close on the ball.
- Might not be the kind of pure shutdown corner that the top prospects in this draft have the skill set to become, but offers scheme versatility and the ability to slide inside and cover the slot.
How other scouting services rate A.J. Hampton Jr. (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank