Draft Profile: BioA.J. Hampton Jr. from Wharton High School was rated a Following high school, Hampton Jr. opted to join Northwestern.
In 2018 as a freshman Hampton Jr. saw action in just 2 games and played a total of 14 snaps at cornerback for the Wildcats. He recorded just 2 tackles, no assists, while adding no stops. In coverage Hampton Jr. notched up no pass breakups, no interceptions, and a disapointing QB rating when targetted of 118.8.
As a sophomore in 2019 he played in 11 games and logged 284 snaps for the Wildcats. He made 14 tackles, 3 assists, and had 3 stops. In coverage he totaled no pass breakups, one interception, and QB rating when targetted of 106.0.
In 2020 as a junior Hampton Jr. played in 8 games and contributed on 328 snaps. He chalked up 21 tackles, 6 assists, and added 10 stops. In the secondary Hampton Jr. forced 3 pass breakups, one interception, and gave up QB rating when targetted of 65.5.
In 2021 as a senior Hampton Jr. saw action in 12 games while playing 683 snaps. He logged 40 tackles, one assist, and made 6 stops. In coverage Hampton Jr. had 10 pass breakups, no interceptions, and surrendered QB rating when targetted of 107.4.
In 2022 as a fifth year senior Hampton Jr. saw action in 7 games while playing 369 snaps. He logged 17 tackles, 3 assists, and made 2 stops. In coverage Hampton Jr. had no pass breakups, no interceptions, and surrendered QB rating when targetted of 79.1.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- His ball skills are very good. Hampton tracks the ball well downfield and has the hands and coordination to come away with interceptions even when Hampton isn’t targeted often.
- Does a good job getting his head around in time when playing with his back to the line of scrimmage. Has the ability to cover quickness underneath.
- Has quick feet and excellent change-of-direction ability, capable of mirroring quickness underneath.
- Flashes good ball skills. Hampton has the fluidity and change-of-direction ability to mirror quicker receivers underneath.
- Alert defender for zone coverage, showing good understanding of route progressions occurring behind him and a quick burst downhill to break on underneath passes in front of him.
- Has the change-of-direction ability to mirror underneath but did solid work out of press and off coverage.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Feet aren’t ideal, as Hampton gets sloppy in his backpedal and can be sluggish when transitioning to close on the ball.
- Inconsistent getting off of blocks. Can be a step slow to react when a quarterback comes back to his side of the field late in progression.
- Has a high backpedal and loses a step in transition. Plays with adequate speed but there are concerns about his ability to handle the truly explosive speedsters of the NFL.
A.J. Hampton Jr. percentiles vs other Cornerback's (NFL Combine historically - higher value represents better perfomance)
How other scouting services rate A.J. Hampton Jr. (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank