Draft Profile: BioBrenton Cox Jr. from Stockbridge High School was rated a 5 star recruit by ESPN and handed a 5 star grade by 247 Sports. Following high school, Cox Jr. opted to join Georgia.
In 2018 as a freshman Cox Jr. saw action in 13 games and played on a total of 277 snaps for the Bulldogs. He recorded 12 tackles, 4 assists, while adding 8 stops. As a pass rusher, he added 14 total pressures, which included 13 QB hurries, no QB hits, and one sack on the season.
After season's end Cox Jr. transfered to Florida where a sophomore for the Gators in 2020 Cox Jr. played in 12 games and took part on 657 snaps for the Gators. He recorded 25 tackles, 10 assists, while adding 24 stops. As a pass rusher, he chalked up 48 total pressures, and 32 QB hurries, 12 QB hits, and 4 sacks during the year.
In 2021 as a junior Cox Jr. played in 13 games and contributed on 631 snaps. He recorded 27 tackles, 10 assists, while making 28 stops. In coverage Cox Jr. chalked up one pass break up, no interceptions, and a QB rating when targetted of 64.6. As a pass rusher, he produced 35 total pressures, which included 21 QB hurries, 8 QB hits, and 6 sacks on the year.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Works hard to get better and gives top effort on every play. Heads-up defender who shows good field awareness.
- Reacts well to draw plays and misdirection, sniffs out screens to his side of the field. Keeps his eyes in the backfield when rushing the passer and uses hands and strength to stay in the play.
- Combines very good instincts with above-average reaction skills. Almost always finds the ball in traffic.
- Tougher between the tackles than many expect. Fluid and quick drop into zone, covers enough ground to be Tampa-2 "MIKE" and knows where the markers are.
- Gives effort between the tackles to find the ball and is willing to take on linemen.
- Shows the closing burst and footwork to work well in tight areas.
- Quick to read run, showing good agility and speed to get past blockers and finish. Experienced in coverage and gets a strong jam on outside receivers.
- Has a filled-out frame with good thickness. Plays at full speed at all times with an active motor and determined quickness in pursuit.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Chase speed is below average, and he gets too upright as a pass rusher - needs to play with better leverage.
- Limited vision and is easily fooled by misdirection. Lacks range and lateral agility in coverage.
How other scouting services rate Brenton Cox Jr. (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank