Draft Profile: BioChristian Young attended Foster High School and was rated a 3-star prospect by 247 Sports with a scout's rating of 0.858, going unranked by ESPN. Following high school, Young opted to join Arizona.
In 2018 as a freshman Young saw action in 11 games and played a total of 203 snaps at Cornerback for the Wildcats. He recorded only 6 tackles, 3 assists, while adding 4 stops. In coverage Young notched up 2 pass breakups, no interceptions, and a solid QB rating when targetted of 85.6.
As a sophomore in 2019 he played in 12 games and logged 406 snaps for the Wildcats. He made 21 tackles, 4 assists, and had one stop. In coverage he totaled 2 pass breakups, no interceptions, and QB rating when targetted of 96.3.
In 2020 as a junior Young played in just one game and contributed on 2 snaps. He chalked up no tackles, no assists, and added no stops. In the secondary Young forced no pass breakups, no interceptions, and gave up an outstanding QB rating when targetted of .0.
In 2021 as a senior Young saw action in 12 games while playing 734 snaps. He logged decent 54 tackles, 15 assists, and made 18 stops. In coverage Young had 3 pass breakups, no interceptions, and surrendered QB rating when targetted of 95.4.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Young tracks the ball well and does a nice job of getting his head around in plenty of time to avoid flags.
- Good instincts and anticipation reads and reacts with discipline. Dangerous with the ball in his hands.
- Has good football awareness to read and react quickly and stay balanced and patient in space.
- Shows good athleticism in coverage. He’s a twitchy athlete who explodes out of his backpedal as a zone defender, with the closing speed to eat up ground fast.
- He’s physical at the line of scrimmage, showing unexpected power in his hands.
- His ball skills are very good. Young tracks the ball well downfield and has the hands and coordination to come away with interceptions even when Young isn’t targeted often.
- Has the violent hands to discard receivers and smaller tight ends, and he is a sure tackler. In coverage, he shows good instincts when sitting back in zone, with click-and-close ability and good ball tracking.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Plays out of control too often, laying a lot of big hits but also missing a lot of tackles along the way. Young also needs to do a better job reading routes when sitting back as a single-high safety.
- Young plays high and tends to struggle with change of direction, and Young also shows some stiffness when he has to flip his hips.
- Isn’t great in route recognition when he’s facing the action, is hesitant and susceptible to double moves, and too often gets unnecessarily handsy when playing trail position
How other scouting services rate Christian Young (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank