Draft Profile: BioDallas Turner from St. Thomas Aquinas High School was rated a 5-star recruit by ESPN and handed a 5-star grade by 247 Sports. After high school, Turner joined Alabama after being heavily recruited.
In 2021 as a freshman Turner saw action in 15 games and played a total of 370 snaps for the Crimson Tide. He recorded 18 tackles, 3 assists, while adding 24 stops. In coverage Turner notched up no pass breakups, no interceptions, and QB rating when targetted of 74.0. As a pass rusher, he added 25 total pressures, which included 13 QB hurries, 3 QB hits, and an excellent an excellent 9 sacks on the season.
As a sophomore for the Crimson Tide in 2022 Turner played in 12 games and took part in 609 snaps for the Crimson Tide. He recorded 23 tackles, 9 assists, while adding 22 stops. In coverage Turner made no pass breakups, no interceptions, and QB rating when targetted of 106.3. As a pass rusher, he chalked up 35 total pressures, and 21 QB hurries, 9 QB hits, and 5 sacks during the year.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Shows a natural feel for setting up blockers and getting them off-balance. His hands are active and violent, and Turner quickly disengages with blockers and counters when his initial move stalls, though he could improve efficiency.
- He’s a capable blitzer with the ability to close quickly. He’s also very good in coverage, rangy with good awareness in zone coverage, and fluid and fast enough to run with most tight ends.
- He’s aggressive shooting gaps, redirecting downfield quickly and closing fast on the ball carrier. He possesses the length and dip-and-bend ability, although could work more on feet and flexibility for better edge threat.
- Good all-around athlete with very good short-area quickness and fluidity. Very good playing strength and has worked hard in the weight room, adding bulk and filling out his frame.
- His core flexibility and balance are excellent, and he has prototypical length.
- He generally understands angles and takes good paths moving downhill, but there's room for improvement in his routing.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- While he is capable of converting speed into power, too often he slips off tackles or turns into a grab-and-drag tackler rather than a hitter, failing to keep his legs driving through the hit.
- Locates the ball but can improve on taking more direct routes to it and use power and long arms more efficiently to disengage from blocks.
- While having ability as a blitzer and potential edge threat, Turner could improve his speed, twitch as a pass rusher and flexibility to threaten around the edge.
How other scouting services rate Dallas Turner (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank