Draft Profile: BioTommy Eichenberg from St Ignatius High School was rated a 3-star recruit by ESPN and handed a 4-star grade by 247 Sports. After high school, Eichenberg joined Ohio State after being heavily recruited.
In 2019 as a freshman Eichenberg saw action in just 2 games and played a total of 5 snaps at linebacker for the Buckeyes. He recorded just one tackle, no assists, while adding one stop.
As a sophomore for the Buckeyes in 2020 Eichenberg played in one game and took part in 6 snaps for the Buckeyes. He recorded just 2 tackles, no assists, while adding one stop.
In 2021 as a junior Eichenberg played in 13 games and contributed on 431 snaps. He recorded 45 tackles, 21 assists while making 31 stops. In coverage Eichenberg chalked up 2 pass breakups, one interception, and a disapointing QB rating when targetted of 134.1. As a pass rusher, he produced 9 total pressures, which included 7 QB hurries, 2 QB hits, and no sacks on the year.
In 2022 as a senior Eichenberg logged playing time in 12 games and logged a total of 697 snaps for the Buckeyes. He also added solid 84 tackles, 27 assists, and 65 stops. While in coverage Eichenberg made 3 pass breakups, one interception, and QB rating when targetted of 87.5. As a pass rusher, he tallied 22 total pressures, which included 14 QB hurries, 4 QB hits, and 4 sacks on the season.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Eichenberg can be used as a rangy run defender inside, instinctive when it comes to locating the ball with the quickness to get to it before blockers can react at the second level.
- He’s rangy and instinctive when he’s looking into the backfield as a zone defender.
- Has a filled-out frame with good thickness. Plays at full speed at all times with an active motor and determined quickness in pursuit.
- He has good quickness and an excellent understanding of angles, often beating blockers to the spot.
- He chases well in pursuit, and Eichenberg has the athleticism to play in space if asked to drop into coverage.
- Has the combination of size and athleticism worthy of development.
- Eichenberg has the fluid movement skills and speed to turn and run in coverage against tight ends.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- He’s more of a grab-and-drag tackler who could stand to be more violent as a hitter.
- As a pass rusher, Eichenberg needs the scheme to create deception and confusion to give him a free run.
- Eichenberg is in a hurry to get upfield but shows poor instincts when locating the ball against the run.
How other scouting services rate Tommy Eichenberg (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank