Draft Profile: BioCedric Gray from Ardrey Kell High School was rated a 3-star recruit by ESPN and handed a 4-star grade by 247 Sports. After high school, Gray joined North Carolina after being heavily recruited.
In 2020 as a freshman Gray saw action in just 2 games and played a total of 6 snaps at linebacker for the Tar Heels. He recorded no tackles, one assist, while adding no stops.
As a sophomore for the Tar Heels in 2021 Gray played in 12 games and took part in 676 snaps for the Tar Heels. He recorded solid 68 tackles, 35 assists, while adding 30 stops. In coverage Gray made one pass breakup, 2 interceptions, and an elite QB rating when targetted of 48.8. As a pass rusher, he chalked up 12 total pressures, and 6 QB hurries, 4 QB hits, and 2 sacks during the year.
In 2022 as a junior Gray played in 13 games and contributed on 918 snaps. He recorded a massive 107 tackles, 32 assists while making 54 stops. In coverage Gray chalked up 3 pass breakups, 2 interceptions, and QB rating when targetted of 90.7. As a pass rusher, he produced 20 total pressures, which included 14 QB hurries, 5 QB hits, and one sack on the year.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Gray can be used as a rangy run defender inside, instinctive when it comes to locating the ball with the quickness to get to it before blockers can react at the second level.
- He plays bigger than his listed size, with the functional strength and motor to take on and hold ground against much bigger blockers.
- He has a compact build, but Gray is a crafty edge player who is very good against the run. He sets the edge and effectively wards off blocks with a strong core, powerful limbs, and natural leverage.
- He has an excellent feel for working off blockers and knowing how and when to counter as the play goes on.
- Accelerates rapidly and has a great feel for angles. He isn’t huge, but he packs a pop.
- Gray has violent hands and consistently breaks away and disengages from blockers. He’s instinctive, reading, reacting and locating the ball quickly, and finishing plays as an authoritative, wrap-up tackler.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- He’ll need to be covered up to be effective. He’s not the kind of guy you can line up in the pass rush and have him bend the edge; he’s limited to shooting through gaps.
- As a run defender, he’s too much of a grab-and-drag tackler, lacking violence and too frequently allowing running backs to escape.
- He’s not a guy who can be put on the edge every down and be expected to consistently create pressure.
Cedric Gray percentiles vs other Linebacker's (NFL Combine historically - higher value represents better perfomance)
How other scouting services rate Cedric Gray (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank