Draft Profile: BioPayton Wilson has been supremely productive since he joined North Carolina State. In 2019. He led the team in tackles in 2019 even though he only started one game. This performance improved the following year where he logged 108 tackles, 11.5 tackles for loss, three sacks, with two interceptions.
2021 was pretty much a disaster for Wilson who missed the majority of the 2021 season after suffering a should injury against Mississippi State that needed surgery.
It now looks likely Wilson will return to school in 2022 in an attempt to improve his draft stock for the 2023 NFL Draft.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Has enough athleticism to drop in coverage and penetrate the pocket. Has good experience as a four-year starter.
- Great experience as MIKE and WILL linebacker who covers ground quickly with nice agility
- Cover skills, in both man and zone, as well as his speed, quickness, and agility, are very good. Fearless, relentless, and fast. Covers a lot of ground on the field.
- A very smart instinctive player who rarely overruns plays
- Has the combination of size and athleticism worthy of development.
- Hits hard and usually takes down his man
- Speed and his overall agility also allow him to match up against any tight end or running back in coverage
- Has a filled-out frame with good thickness. Plays at full speed at all times with an active motor and determined quickness in pursuit.
- Has good technique with good hands to beat blocks
- Handles misdirection well with quick change-of-direction ability. Comes downhill quickly against the run when he has an open lane.
- Good athlete. Shows a natural feel for pass rushing. Very good lateral agility to shake pass blockers.
- Is usually around the ball. Solid tackler. Can turn and run with tight ends in coverage. Can anchor despite slightly high-cut build.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Wilson despite being 6-foot-4 and 235 pounds he lacks ideal strength in run defense
- Gets manhandled by bigger blockers - prefers to run through them rather than through them
- Suffered through multiple injuries and missed the majority of the 2021 season after suffering a shoulder injury against Mississippi State that required surgery. Also he has had two ACL issues in high school
- Inconsistent getting off blocks from smaller offensive players gets moved or out-positioned and forced to chase down plays from behind.
How other scouting services rate Payton Wilson (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank