Draft Profile: BioPayton Wilson from Orange High School was rated a 4-star recruit by ESPN and handed a 4-star grade by 247 Sports. After high school, Wilson joined NC State after being heavily recruited.
In 2019 as a freshman Wilson saw action in 11 games and played a total of 366 snaps at Linebacker for the Wolfpack. He recorded 49 tackles, 13 assists, while adding 30 stops. In coverage Wilson notched up 3 pass breakups, one interception, and an outstanding QB rating when targetted of 48.7. As a pass rusher, he added 7 total pressures, which included 6 QB hurries, no QB hits, and one sack on the season.
As a sophomore for the Wolfpack in 2020 Wilson played in 10 games and took part in 689 snaps for the Wolfpack. He recorded decent 74 tackles, 25 assists, while adding 45 stops. In coverage Wilson made one pass breakup, 2 interceptions, and a very good QB rating when targetted of 62.0. As a pass rusher, he chalked up 20 total pressures, and 12 QB hurries, 4 QB hits, and a decent 4 sacks during the year.
In 2021 as a junior Wilson played in just 2 games and contributed on 51 snaps. He recorded only 2 tackles, one assist while making 3 stops. In coverage Wilson chalked up no pass breakups, no interceptions, and a solid QB rating when targetted of 86.1.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Wilson possesses an intriguing blend of size and movement skills. He has good length, wide shoulders, and long arms, and Wilson has room to add weight.
- He has an impressive closing burst and the functional strength to bounce off blocks. Despite being on the light side, he’s decent when setting the edge against the run, playing with a good pad level and the wide base to anchor.
- Made Bruce Feldman's Freak's List - ranked #48. He wrote, "The 6-4, 230-pound former North Carolina state champion high school wrestler has vertical-jumped 36 inches, and coaches say he will “easily” run the 40 in the 4.49 to 4.54 range. "
- His ability to anticipate gives him legitimate sideline-to-sideline range. He’ll work hard to disengage when he has to, and he has the long arms and heavy hands to shed blocks.
- Good athlete. Shows a natural feel for pass rushing. Very good lateral agility to shake pass blockers.
- Is a gifted athlete with an impressive frame and a lot of raw ability. He needs to get stronger to do more damage at the point of attack and is very unpolished with the mental aspect of the position. Streaky instincts and anticipation.
- He has enough speed to chase and run in pursuit. Wilson has the overall athleticism to hold up in space when dropping into coverage.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Doesn’t play with a physical edge. Wilson too often wants to run around the edge, and Wilson has trouble disengaging when an offensive lineman can get into his frame.
- He’s very much a work in progress, with a limited repertoire of pass-rush moves and an inability to use his hands effectively.
- He’s not a guy who can be put on the edge every down and be expected to consistently create pressure.
How other scouting services rate Payton Wilson (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank