- Work in progress as a pass rusher, with upfield burst and flexibility to dip and scrape.
- Gives effort between the tackles to find the ball and is willing to take on linemen.
- Reads the quarterback to anticipate and is a candidate to play outside.
- Good athlete. Shows a natural feel for pass rushing. Very good lateral agility to shake pass blockers.
- Downhill defender and physical tackler. Uses his eyes to decipher and break down the play, showing good awareness and discipline to sniff out fakes.
- Reacts well to draw plays and misdirection, sniffs out screens to his side of the field. Keeps his eyes in the backfield when rushing the passer and uses hands and strength to stay in the play.
- Combination of size, length, and agility makes him a secure tackler in space. Could succeed as a free blitzer.
- Lacks pop and strength to anchor, though. Most effective when uncovered inside and chasing stretch plays to the sideline.
- Builds to top speed and must take the right line to beat backs to the edge.
- Height leaves him susceptible to cut blocks he must learn to defeat with his hands.
How other scouting services rate Payton Wilson (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank