Draft Profile: BioEric Scott Jr. attended Basehor-Linwood High School and was rated a 2-star prospect by 247 Sports with a scout's rating of 0.790, going unranked by ESPN. Following high school, Scott Jr. opted to join Southern Mississippi.
In 2021 as a freshman Scott Jr. saw action in 12 games and played a total of 502 snaps at cornerback for the Golden Eagles. He recorded 23 tackles, 2 assists, while adding 8 stops. In coverage Scott Jr. notched up one pass breakup, 2 interceptions, and a decent QB rating when targetted of 77.4.
As a sophomore in 2022 he played in 12 games and logged 514 snaps for the Golden Eagles. He made 26 tackles, 5 assists, and had 10 stops. In coverage he totaled 3 pass breakups, 2 interceptions, and a decent QB rating when targetted of 82.0.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Alert defender for zone coverage, showing good understanding of route progressions occurring behind him and a quick burst downhill to break on underneath passes in front of him.
- Has excellent ball skills, tracking the ball effectively and instinctively taking the right route to break up the play. Scott has the strong hands and coordination to come down with interceptions.
- He’s tall-framed with long arms to match. With his powerful hands, straight-line speed, and fluidity in his hips, turning and chasing downfield shouldn’t be a problem.
- Shows good instincts when facing the action in zone coverage, and Scott has solid ball skills.
- Can get up on the line of scrimmage and deliver a solid punch early in routes, then use that quickness to shadow, or back off and close quickly when the ball comes out
- Shows the click-and-close ability to backpedal and the ball skills to make plays. Scott has loose hips to go along with good top-end speed, and he can flip around to turn and run in coverage.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Despite his size, he’s not an overly physical tackler. Scott might have to add some weight at the next level in order to become more physical.
- Rght now he’s only capable of playing in trail position, and even then he’d likely be draw a lot of flags.
- Scott runs well, but Scott doesn’t have elite recovery speed.
How other scouting services rate Eric Scott Jr. (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank