Draft Profile: BioHayes Maples from Oak Grove High School was rated a star recruit by ESPN and handed a 2 star grade by 247 Sports. Following high school, Maples opted to join Southern Mississippi.
In 2018 as a freshman Maples saw action in one game and played on a total of 9 snaps for the Golden Eagles. He recorded no tackles, no assists, while adding no stops.
As a sophomore for the Golden Eagles in 2019 Maples played in 10 games and took part on 173 snaps for the Golden Eagles. He recorded 19 tackles, 4 assists, while adding 13 stops. In coverage Maples made no pass break ups, no interceptions, and a QB rating when targetted of 149.3. As a pass rusher, he chalked up 9 total pressures, and 7 QB hurries, one QB hit, and one sack during the year.
In 2020 as a junior Maples played in 10 games and contributed on 573 snaps. He recorded 58 tackles, 16 assists, while making 34 stops. In coverage Maples chalked up no pass break ups, no interceptions, and a QB rating when targetted of 118.3. As a pass rusher, he produced 7 total pressures, which included 4 QB hurries, 2 QB hits, and one sack on the year.
In 2021 as a senior Maples logged playing time in 12 games and logged a total of 457 snaps for the Golden Eagles. He also added 42 tackles, 23 assists, and 28 stops. While in coverage Maples made one pass break up, no interceptions, and a QB rating when targetted of 129.7. As a pass rusher, he tallied 11 total pressures, which included 7 QB hurries, 3 QB hits, and one sack on the season.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Intelligent player who can play "MIKE" linebacker despite his lack of size because of his instincts and ability to find the ball in traffic.
- Handles misdirection well with quick change-of-direction ability. Comes downhill quickly against the run when he has an open lane.
- Greet feel in coverage. Often arrives at the receiver at the same time as the ball, giving up few yards after the catch. Possesses straight-line speed to stay with or chase down receivers in man.
- Looks the part. Good height and a thick, muscular build. Long arms. Good overall athleticism and straight-line speed.
- Shows toughness to get under the pads of tackles to bull them, club them upfield to get the inside lane, or fight through blocks for secondary rush when the passer steps up.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Inconsistent hustle. Only adequate change-of-direction ability. Also loses his balance too often in the open field. Lacks size to bull rush stronger tackles.
- Has lean limbs and needs to get stronger and add bulk to his frame.
How other scouting services rate Hayes Maples (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank