Draft Profile: BioHayes Maples from Oak Grove High School was rated a After high school, Maples joined Southern Mississippi.
In 2018 as a freshman Maples saw action in just one game and played a total of 9 snaps at linebacker for the Golden Eagles. He recorded no tackles, no assists, while adding no stops.
As a sophomore for the Golden Eagles in 2019 Maples played in 10 games and took part in 173 snaps for the Golden Eagles. He recorded 19 tackles, 4 assists, while adding 13 stops. In coverage Maples made no pass breakups, no interceptions, and a disapointing QB rating when targetted of 149.3. As a pass rusher, he chalked up 9 total pressures, and 7 QB hurries, one QB hit, and one sack during the year.
In 2020 as a junior Maples played in 10 games and contributed on 573 snaps. He recorded solid 58 tackles, 16 assists while making 34 stops. In coverage Maples chalked up no pass breakups, no interceptions, and a disapointing QB rating when targetted of 118.3. As a pass rusher, he produced 7 total pressures, which included 4 QB hurries, 2 QB hits, and one sack on the year.
In 2021 as a senior Maples logged playing time in 12 games and logged a total of 457 snaps for the Golden Eagles. He also added 42 tackles, 23 assists, and 28 stops. While in coverage Maples made one pass breakup, no interceptions, and a disapointing QB rating when targetted of 129.7. As a pass rusher, he tallied 11 total pressures, which included 7 QB hurries, 3 QB hits, and one sack on the season.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Has the combination of size and athleticism worthy of development.
- Maples will always try to plow into the largest piles and has a good knack of ending up glued to the ballcarrier.
- He’s effective in pursuit when chasing down backs as a run defender, and Maples has the athleticism to cover a lot of ground when dropping into coverage.
- He has excellent awareness in zone coverage.
- Maples can be used as a rangy run defender inside, instinctive when it comes to locating the ball with the quickness to get to it before blockers can react at the second level.
- Good closing speed with long arms to drag down quarterbacks and running backs.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Loses size battle to many tight ends and is easily pushed away on out routes.
- He’s not a guy who can be put on the edge every down and be expected to consistently create pressure.
- He’ll also need to be covered in the run game, more of a Will than a Mike in a 4-3 alignment.
How other scouting services rate Hayes Maples (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank