Draft Profile: BioIsrael Abanikanda from Abraham Lincoln High School was rated a 3-star recruit by ESPN and handed a 3-star grade by 247 Sports. Following high school, Abanikanda joined Pittsburgh.
In 2020 as a freshman Abanikanda saw action in 7 games for the Panthers as he ran for just 95 yards on 28 attempts for just 3.4 yards per carry, with one TD, with no fumbles. As a receiver he made just 2 receptions for 11 yards.
As a sophomore in 2021 he played 13 games. and rushed for a solid 651 yards on 123 carries for an excellent 5.3 ypc, with 7 TDs, with no fumbles. In the passing game he pulled in a solid 24 receptions for 197 yards.
In 2022 as a junior Abanikanda saw action in 11 games for the Panthers. He ran for an outstanding 1426 yards on 241 attempts for an excellent 5.9 ypc, with 20 TDs, with 3 fumbles. As a receiver he made just 12 receptions for 146 yards.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Abanikanda consistently falls forward, and Abanikanda will also bounce off of or shake loose from a couple of tackles to turn minimal gains into big runs.
- He has the flexible ankles to turn the corner and get around the perimeter when the opportunity presents itself.
- He’s patient, letting blocks develop then accelerating. Abanikanda runs with a good forward lean and consistently falls forward.
- He’s not a burner, and he is more of a block-what’s-given runner than a guy who is going to create.
- An excellent blocker on the outside, he also adds value in the running game.
- He’s equally dangerous in catch-and-run situations as he is taking the top off a defense
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- He’s not physically imposing. Abanikanda is small-framed and won’t be able to carry much more weight.
- Abanikanda has constantly ran a limited route tree.
- He’s more of a cut blocker in pass protection as opposed to a guy who will stick his face in against the blitz, although that is a correctable flaw.
How other scouting services rate Israel Abanikanda (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank