- Played with good leverage, even on the nose, despite average bulk. Hustle defender with a good bull rush inside that can close and get home when quarterbacks leave the pocket.
- Lower than offensive lineman on every short-yardage play. Good agility and ability to change direction for his size.
- Provides some secondary interior pass rush, getting most penetration when playing three technique.
- Played with lean and leverage against the run, tough for one man to move (sometimes double-teams, too).
- Delivers a strong punch and uses his hands to shed blocks to make plays in the hole or outside the box. Uses lower-body strength to anchor inside.
- Misses tackles, even when he gets his hands on the ballcarrier. Needs to improve hand placement and technique.
- Sees the ball well but is stuck on blocks when head-up; does not shed to make plays often enough.
- Must improve hand use and read-and-react skills. Lacks the violent hands to shed and can be eliminated by double-team blocks.
- Lacks the speed to turn the corner consistently and is too often washed out by stronghanded blockers.
- Quick first step with fluid movements off the ball. Highly competitive and fierce, showing relentless effort to the pocket with a nonstop motor
How other scouting services rate Matthew Butler (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank